Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree29Likes
  • 3 Post By stingray
  • 17 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 4 Post By 40mm
  • 2 Post By wsm junkie
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Beware fish bones

Beware fish bones

Yeah mum told me etc etc cooked fish bone stuck in your throat ...

Well today at work .a bloke I dropped off some flounder and to brought the fable to life ...he pan fried the two flounder I gave him, his good lady and himself enjoyed the crispy skin , not sure how it happened but the lady enhaled a bone from the tail , possibly crispy ..anyway it lodged in her voice box and required emergency surgery.

So like cooked chicken , mutton and fish bones take care....because it actually does happen
    Moa Hunter, BeeMan and 40mm like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Gone but not forgotten
    Yep, a few years back I was eating a flounder at the bach and felt a bone stick in my throat. I quietly got up from the table and starting eating bread. Didnt work. Mum asked what was wrong. Night-time, on a weekend, and an hours drive from nearest medical centre. I said I was okay to wait and see what happened, but about half an hour later I was pretty uncomfortable and changing my mind, deciding I needed to head into town. I had a chocolate éclair before leaving, and Bingo, it dislodged the bone!
    Since then I consider chocolate eclairs as medical supplies not junkfood, and think all First Aid kits should contain them.

why my kids were always ENCOURAGED to eat fish with their fingers....we do our darndest when filleting to make sure none left in...but it happens. got flounder bone in throat as young fella and know its not fun... pleased she is ok.
    stingray likes this.

Yeah it does allright.
    I got a small chicken bone stuck in my throat once, was mixed in with all the gravy and good bits at the end of my plate (hangi)
    So I hoovered the last scoop down and it stuck firm in my throat, bloody horrible feeling.

I looked around for a likely first aider/heimlicker (look, I just made a word) and none looked suitably qualified.
    By then it must have been nearing a minute and my missus and her mates noticed and were asking me if I was ok.
    Nek minut, my body must have decided that oxygen was about due and I heaved it out in a great big cough/lurch type thing.

I kept that little curved one inch killer for a few years, bloody scarry shit.
    stingray, BeeMan, berg243 and 1 others like this.
    Use enough gun

During 1989, I was having a few with the boys, as you do, when one of the assholes added a bottle top to a down -down. It lodged in my throat and none of what any one could do would move it. By the time I got to the local (small town) hospital, it was really sawing away and swelling my throat. The doctor there couldn't budge it either, so we jumped into a car and sped to the nearest hospital an hour away. On arrival to the EU I was pretty much unable to breath and in enormous pain. The two docs in emergency plunged a long plier thing down and the other stood ready with a scalpel. It came out and I spent three days recovering in a ward. Moral of the story...always sieve your beer before taking a swig...

@Cigar good tip, will stock up today
    What do you suggest dose wise...1per day or 1 each meal just to be on the safe side
    Gibo and berg243 like this.

A neighbor that we used to do the xmas morning (and sometimes the whole day) in aussie was extremely uncomfortable one xmas. Crook guts pain etc.
    Almost like a really bad appendix.
    Ended up in hospital that night.
    Had a piece of prawn shell start to perforated something it shouldn't. Must of had it the day before otherwise it started acting pretty quick

MB
    I've pulled a few fish bones, KFC bones and lamb bones out of places they should not be. One plucky Northlander had most of a snapper head stuck in his throat. It's interesting that in countries outside the Anglosphere, eating whole fish is common and they don't seem to have too many problems.
    stingray likes this.

Banned
    I hope you kept the bone that stuck in the womans throat and stopped her talking, if you have, could I borrow on occasion please ?
    csmiffy likes this.