Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Biggun708
  • 1 Post By Pixie Z

Thread: Canal setups

Canal setups

Howdy all!

Just wanting to see(without giving secrets away) what canal setups you guys use as I'd like to hit the canals up this winter.
    It will also double as a rod for the lakes in my rhib.
    For a Reel I like the look of a Shimano Utegra in a 4500 sizing, for a rod? Something as long as possible in the 6-8kg range?. Been told 12lb line minimum.

I know Canal fishing is very much a case of don't let on too much but for a setup is all I'm wanting recommendations for.

we were fishing there lastnight/today using softies smashing big rainbows and browns and small salmon all over, i had 10lb braid and my mate had 8lb braid both with a 12lb leaders. theyll take most things if theyre hungry right on change of light

I broke my salmon hymen down there the other day, 2 salmon 1 rainbow and a brown all in 30 min fishing after dinner!!! All on a green and gold tassie devil, cast upstream 11 oclock, let it drift down to 2;30 ish and then a slow retrieve back.. Not bad for a vegas boy who'd never been there before!!!
    Pengy likes this.

Im running a G Loomis IMX 6-12 Pound rod with a shamano stradic 2500. 8 pound braid and 10 pound leader. Soft baits work a treat.

I use an Abu 3000 size reel spooled with 8lb fireline braid & 8lb flouro leader, & a 3-5kg rod. I mostly spin fish up there, I get bored bait fishing. But always take a mix of spinners, softies & bait just in case one method is producing better than the others. I love softbaiting, but over the past few years I've found they've got less & less productive. The last couple of trips I've done up there softies weren't performing & all my fish those two trips were taken on a big articulated marabou streamers that I'd tied onto a jighead so I could use it with a spin rod. Killer action to them. They look big & puffy when dry, but when wet they slim down to similar profile as a softy.Name:  IMG_2448.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  998.3 KB Name:  IMG_0476.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  1.19 MB