Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: DIY kontiki info

DIY kontiki info

Looking at knocking up a fishing kontiki and after some info. What capacity batteries do you use and what sort of main line should I use, mono/braid, and how long.

Reckon I can have a complete set up for under $400 including winch.

What are your thoughts?
    canross likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

get the gorse out and buy one, more time fishing less time in shed and to and fro testing

But I love to tinker with stuff and make things. Knowing me I'll give it away once I've made it.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Dunno much about longlines GM but id go mono as it has far superior abrasion resistance which is inevitable. Maybe 3-400 lb?
    Length would depend how far out its to go. Couply three kms or so should do it

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Dunno much about longlines GM but id go mono as it has far superior abrasion resistance which is inevitable. Maybe 3-400 lb?
    Length would depend how far out its to go. Couply three kms or so should do it
    What I was thinking. The braid would be getting dragged through fine sand which would probably get into id and abrade from the inside.

Looking at integrating a long line dropper system to cut down drag and avoid having it as part of the tow line so sharks don't bite the thing off. Use a front drive hub and alloy rim as the basis for the winch, cheap as chips from a wrecker.

So two separate lines? Could get messy

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    So two separate lines? Could get messy
    Just the one line. The bit that attracts the fish and predators is not part of the bit you rely on to get the knotiki back.

Just integrate something like this into the kontiki itself.

ShoreThing Automatic Electric Kontiki Fishing System

Oh yeah, looks the bizo. Must be big sharks to take a 600mm trace and the mainline

Integrating it into the kontiki (I thought about it about 15 years ago) would mean it is in better synch with the kontiki motor. Use two timing boards, 1st one is for the line drop and that triggers the start of the motor shut off timer which should be pretty well constant.
    Gibo likes this.

Things are progressing. Have component weights and rough dimensions required for buoyancy. Plans are drawn up and the hull build will begin shortly. I have the motor, a couple of batteries, electronics coming and the hull components. Costing things up and it would cost about NZ$50 to make it GPS controlled, about $30 more than just timer based, but will take a bit of programming so sticking with just timers for initial tests.
    veitnamcam, Smiddy and Gibo like this.

Remember the offer of mainline and hooks etc from the bad one mate. I have his number if and when you need it

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    But I love to tinker with stuff and make things. Knowing me I'll give it away once I've made it.
    I'll give you $500 for it when she's done mate! Win, win!
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Integrating it into the kontiki (I thought about it about 15 years ago) would mean it is in better synch with the kontiki motor. Use two timing boards, 1st one is for the line drop and that triggers the start of the motor shut off timer which should be pretty well constant.
    Jeeze what happened to the days that kontikis were rigged with a barley sugar that would drop the weight and the sail once dissolved?, seems everything has been blinged out these days with timers, motors, batteries, GPS etc just to get a long line out
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

A couple I built GM ,might be some idea's useful for you.They all caught fish .

Have wiring diagrams if you need them just drop me you email addy.
    gadgetman likes this.
    Gun control means using both hands

Geeze that first pic is a classic Chris
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive