Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sakokid

Thread: driving on 90 mile beach

driving on 90 mile beach

Hi all,

I am going to 90 mile beach over Christmas for a week of fishing. I havent been there before at all.i have a 4x4 and was wondering if you can drive along the beach at any time or if it would have to be at low tide? Just trying to get abit of an idea of what to expect. Any info would be great.

cheers

The far north is pretty much where I was born and raised.spent many hours fishing the ninety. The beach is pretty much ok to drive most of the time unless there a strong westerly blowing or a large swell running. At low tide or half tide is the best time to drive as the sand is wet and hard. If you stay just above the waterline u will be fine,just watch out for the odd rouge wave. High tide I would not recommend, unless u are a local. When driving slow down for the creeks because sometimes there could be the odd washout they are hard to spot until u are almost on top of them. Places to watch out for is the ramp on at waipapkauri coming off the beach very soft sand at times. The bluff two thirds of the way up, can be soft sand coming around at high tide. Low tide it is fine. Don't stop and park in any of the steams u will sink no matter how fat your tyres are. Access points are ahi para, waipapkauri, hukatere, the bluff, and te paki stream. Most of it is common sence really.
    JoshC and Maca49 like this.

Ok thanks, so if I was to stop and walk the streams (before crossing) and keep momentum while crossing , keep an eye on the tides, and watch the axcess points it shuld be pretty simple

and the fish shuld bite

thanks

Google it to see if your still able to drive parts of it, for some reason I think they banned driving on it it party of it recently

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.