Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Drone Fishing

R93

Drone Fishing

May be only 2 posts from me on this topic But have my drone all set and tested dropping different weights off the surfcaster. She has worked perfect so far, using a weighted trace and downrigger clip attached to my rear detachable legs.

My next post could be asking if anyone has found a mavic pro washed up on their local beach

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Nice way to fish for the elderly for sure

What kinda weight you flying out and how far?
    Go fast, Don’t suck

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Nice way to fish for the elderly for sure

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
    Gibo, Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    What kinda weight you flying out and how far?
    I have had 2 x 6 oz sand grabbers on it to test and it didn't miss a beat. I normally fish a 3oz and if that doesn't stay out it is too rough. So a 3oz and bait should be fine. Not sure how far yet but have 300m on both reels so half that and I will be happy.
    Only giving it a go because we have had the long line out and it doesn't seem to be catching until the last half of the set.

Oh...eat a dick Gibo

veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I have had 2 x 6 oz sand grabbers on it to test and it didn't miss a beat. I normally fish a 3oz and if that doesn't stay out it is too rough. So a 3oz and bait should be fine. Not sure how far yet but have 300m on both reels so half that and I will be happy.
    Only giving it a go because we have had the long line out and it doesn't seem to be catching until the last half of the set.

Oh...eat a dick Gibo

Now you need a shimano beastmaster 9000, to 'assist' in reeling it back in......

(I do have one, but only used on 200m + drops - not for surf casting...)
    R93 and MB like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    Now you need a shimano beastmaster 9000, to 'assist' in reeling it back in......

With a kinky name like that he'll be all over it. you obviously were.
    R93 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Shimano shit will get it halfway back in, get a real reel on it!

Oh and Dave my uncle and father in law are running splash drones, think they are setting 5 hooks out quite far. Its a bloody good alternative to a contiki but why do you think it will work if the contiki doesnt? Oh and grab a bagful to chew on
    R93 and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Would be interesting to see how you get on.
    What time are you setting the long line? I’ve got a 1k line and set it late arvo not catching anything, reset on dusk and getting plenty. Paddling the surf caster out 200m and not getting any bites. Suppose that’s whys it’s called fishing and not catching. Off to pull the spear gun out tomorrow and shoot some butters
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Oh and Dave my uncle and father in law are running splash drones, think they are setting 5 hooks out quite far. Its a bloody good alternative to a contiki but why do you think it will work if the contiki doesnt? Oh and grab a bagful to chew on
    I think he is saying it is only the furtherst out bit of the longline that is catching.

My longcast is the nicest reel I have ever used......and I have used some flash other peoples gear��
    Its not in the over a grand bracket either....time will tell how it holds up I guess.
    Gibo and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93

Yeah those splash drones be the way to go. The rig seem to be out further than I can cast. If I get them as big as I did last year I couldn't handle more than one.

Been a few snapper caught but I only know of one on a rod and it was late at night.
    On a good day I can maybe cast 60-70yrds so adding 100 might help.
    Always wanted to try it with my drone and think I have researched the best way without spending huge coin.
    Famous last words

Beaker and Gibo like this.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I_Joel View Post
    Would be interesting to see how you get on.
    What time are you setting the long line? I’ve got a 1k line and set it late arvo not catching anything, reset on dusk and getting plenty. Paddling the surf caster out 200m and not getting any bites. Suppose that’s whys it’s called fishing and not catching. Off to pull the spear gun out tomorrow and shoot some butters
    Mostly setting it when the tide is right.
    It goes a fair ways. I would say 1km but it has 2km of line on the real.

It has been fickle here lately. Some good rips throwing gear back up along the beach and a few snags as well.
    If it all works with the drone tomorrow I will be chuffed.

How would you go attaching a cordless drill on the reel shaft ? , iv got a mavic pro that iv done a few tests on down the paddock but i still dont fancy winding in 2 or 300 meters of line by hand !!
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

You could use an electric fence reel and stick it on a warata, which would fit a bit of line and get a bit more in per turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    How would you go attaching a cordless drill on the reel shaft ? , iv got a mavic pro that iv done a few tests on down the paddock but i still dont fancy winding in 2 or 300 meters of line by hand !!
    Have seen a old reel (Penn senator 12/0, from memory), and a cordless drill with a U shaped thing in it. The 2 fingers of the U grab either side of reel handle and winds in. No mods to reel needed. Seemed a bit agricultural, but would work.
    Maca49 likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....