Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Eel Got My Dog!

Eel Got My Dog!

Jeeze been fishin again and on the way home just before dark A bloody eel gets my dog.

He survived the attack!

And then it was after me

Yep spotted my gummies in the river and started to swim up the gummies too have a looksie at the monster eel hanging out of my shorts

Name:  picture 4920.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  165.1 KB

I gave the eel a bit of a tease with fly (not that one you dirty bastards)

Name:  picture 4921.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  157.3 KB

The fly on the fishing rod.

Name:  picture 4922.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  155.9 KB

But here is the shot when the dog got eaten He lept out of the water so quick.

Name:  picture 4918.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  164.8 KB

And got his foot on the last attack.

Name:  picture 4923.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  155.7 KB
    P38, madjon_, nzfubz and 4 others like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

I was gutting/scaling mullet on the Waikato last week and the eels were out of the river and onto the pontoon to get the scraps....only small ones though......dont give a shit!!!!!!!!
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

So did you get the Eel in the end?
    Is the last photo just before the dog gets a nip as he seems fairly uninterested in the whole situation... well at least for the next second or so...

How many brown bombers had been consumed at this time mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mrs dundee likes this.

When I was shepherding up the Turakina Valley many years ago (like, 44 years), my horse started performing while riding across the the river. He was lashing out with his rear leg and an an eel was firmly attached to his fetlock (a hairy bit down by a horses ankle). It took a couple of kicks from the horse to dislodge it. Not a huge eel, just one about the size of Dundee's pic.

@Dundee 'Eel be alright, I'm sure.
    P38, Dundee and Gibo like this.

Must have smelt the fear Dundee and come looking for the source !!!

Can take you a bit by surprise tho- I know that first hand having fished in Arapuni in the Osprey float tube or belly boat as they're known in Canada (basically a tractor inner tube with nylon seating arrangements that you kick along) and had a really good fishing time fishing the evening rise with a couple of nice fat rainbows going home with me after taking a bang to the head the keep net on the side.

Anyhow came time to kick back to shore and I was wondering why it was so weedy on the side that had the keep net.. Hmm I wonder if I've snagged something with the net. Looking over with the head torch I could make out about at least 5 thick as your leg long fin eels trying to suck the trout through the net and hanging on. Needless to say the adrenaline was pumping for the next minute or two and I think I moon walked on the top of the water back to the shore with a visible wake...

The belly boat hasn't had an outing for the last oooh probably 8 years and is safely sitting in storage in my garage... for some reason I haven't found the need to use of late!!!

Would have loved to have seen your face CD......is that when you found out adrenalin is brown!!!!!!
    distant stalker likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Scouser View Post
    Would have loved to have seen your face CD......is that when you found out adrenalin is brown!!!!!!
    Wearing neoprene stocking foot waders at the time - It was more what you might call "a feeling!!!"color...
    Scouser likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grunzter View Post
    So did you get the Eel in the end?
    Is the last photo just before the dog gets a nip as he seems fairly uninterested in the whole situation... well at least for the next second or so...
    After the eel hit his paw it was all over. Dog scurryed out of the water. The eel hang around a bit longer.
    grunzter likes this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

My poor doggie
    P38 and gadgetman like this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs dundee View Post
    My poor doggie
    You'd have fixed that mongrel eel eh Mrs D, you'd have hitched your apron into your bloomers an' waded out barefoot an' stabbed the bastard with a fork. An' not spilled a drop of chardy from the wine glass you carried the whole time...
    HILLBILLYHUNTERS likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

P38
    What's this world coming to?

A man goes bloody fishing with his best mate to wind down and relax after a hard days work and some slimy bugger goes and takes a bite out of him when he obviously wasn't looking.

That Bastard needs to suffer some consequences for his action Dundee!

I suggest you get PT to spark up that Christmas prezzy of his.

Then you and PT should take a little trip back down to the river with a handful of paybacks loaded on some razor sharp hooks, haul him ashore and smoke his dog biting arse and feast on the left overs.

Cheers
    Pete
    Dundee and mrs dundee like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    That also happed to me Dundee, well it happened to my Lab.
    Some years ago we were shooting and some ducks had been dead in the water for awhile
    Breeze went out and bought back a few in during lull period, next duck he was bringing back he started yelping and thrashing about, saw the bloody thing attached to his leg, didn't know what to do so put two shots in the water a bit away and to the side.
    Anyway it buggered off and he swam in minus the duck he'd been carrying
    We still had a couple of ducks left in the water though so I sent him back, he looked at me for a bit then decided to go.
    Never had another incident like it, but, there you go it does happen.
    Dundee and mrs dundee like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

When I was a young fella was out with the old man salmon fishing he was wearing the old rubber thigh waders few eels started hanging around, I busy spearing a few next thing hear the old men swear & backout of the water a bit, one of the eels had come up & poked its head over the top of his waders, think he got one hell of a fright.