Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Fish finder what's good ?

Fish finder what's good ?

Looking to buy a fish finder . What do I need to know . Dont want chart plotter ( iPad or iPhone does that ) . Don't want useless piece of shit that shows phantom fish shapes swimming . Want something that actually shows real fish and features to around 80 mts . Am realistic will spend what needs to be spent $
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

A mate has just re-fitted his main boat, plus two ali boats he is having built, with all Simrad electronics. He researched everything thoroughly first, and they came out tops in his opinion (and he knows a thing or three )
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

ooh, ooh ask me, (and why didnt you say so when you where here, I have stuff like that in my shed waiting for a bigger boat)
    Modern small Simrad is distributed by the same people who sell Lowrance and Navman (Navico) and while its good gear its NOT acutally anything to do with the SIMRAD who manufactures and sells the commercial gear.

Look for a sounder whch has knobs for gain and range, Pressing 3-4 buttons to access those controls is a pain
    Simrads good but Furuno's better in my somewhat biased opinion.

Munsey whats your budget?? I know someone who can get Furuno stuff at a good price
    veitnamcam, Munsey and mucko like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Mikee my budget may have to stretch too what is required to give me something worth using . Like I say don't want gps or plotter . Am I going to get one under a thousand ?

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Mikee my budget may have to stretch too what is required to give me something worth using . Like I say don't want gps or plotter . Am I going to get one under a thousand ?
    Yes thats an OK budget for what you want. you have a PM
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Are you really sure you dont want a combo? I would sooner rely on a dedicated chart plotter over a phone or tablet.....your life is on the line remember.
    Just my 2 cents and +1 on the Furuno
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Are you really sure you dont want a combo? I would sooner rely on a dedicated chart plotter over a phone or tablet.....your life is on the line remember.
    Just my 2 cents and +1 on the Furuno
    +1 but depends on how much you are gonna use it and how much boating you like to do in the dark or fog. i personally would not like to be traveling at 25knts in the dark.fog using only a Phone or Ipad for primary navigation. I usually like to leave well before the sparrow is even contemplating farting. They do make great backups and very good in smaller boats though in one of those waterproof thingies. I have 2 plotters + one phone app as plan C

Munsey is on to it for a boat his size you need a plotter (anything) to get you roughly into the area and then a good Fish Finder to find them. I would rather use an Iphone/Android have a good fish finder and save the rest for a PLB

My dad uses a point on one cliff 3kms north and another point on another cliff about 17kms east, rough chart plotter eh? worked though
    sako75 and Gibo like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    +1 but depends on how much you are gonna use it and how much boating you like to do in the dark or fog. i personally would not like to be traveling at 25knts in the dark.fog using only a Phone or Ipad for primary navigation. I usually like to leave well before the sparrow is even contemplating farting. They do make great backups and very good in smaller boats though in one of those waterproof thingies. I have 2 plotters + one phone app as plan C

Munsey is on to it for a boat his size you need a plotter (anything) to get you roughly into the area and then a good Fish Finder to find them. I would rather use an Iphone/Android have a good fish finder and save the rest for a PLB
    Yip totally agree. Weigh up needs vs cost. Plotter finder will not be under 1K for anything decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Yip totally agree. Weigh up needs vs cost. Plotter finder will not be under 1K for anything decent.
    I will get a plotter but will be separate as I don't have enough money's available . Have got hand held gps and iPhone app for the moment . To be fair my boat is hardly offshore capable so kind of like putting a radar detector on a Larda .
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

you could just wire up the one you have so it actually goes!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    My dad uses a point on one cliff 3kms north and another point on another cliff about 17kms east, rough chart plotter eh? worked though
    Toby, get him to mark an X on the side of the boat for when he can't see the cliff.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Toby, get him to mark an X on the side of the boat for when he can't see the cliff.
    I'll take the 60s next time and show him modern tech
    VIVA LA HOWA

from my experience - anything that has a marine map that you can overlay with two frequency ie 50khz and 200khz is worth its weight in gold.

IE

Name:  1621966_10152561739804554_1370677194_n.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  206.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    from my experience - anything that has a marine map that you can overlay with two frequency ie 50khz and 200khz is worth its weight in gold.

IE

Attachment 20747
    Nice Furuno
    mikee likes this.