Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Fishing with a handline in NZ

I've been getting into a bit of fishing over here in the NT with a simple handline, haven't caught a lot yet but I've never been into fishing so it's all a learning experience. Mostly just chucking some bait on a hook and throwing it into a river and waiting for something to bite, but I've also learned how to "cast" lures with it.

Anyone used one in NZ to any degree of success? The simplicity of it appeals to me, that and the fact that so far the whole endeavour has cost me about $11.

I Like Beer + Strippers Georgetown's Avatar
    No! fishing rods are cheap, Plenty of people use hand lines to fish in the sea with bait but fresh water fishing is boring with bait. Use lures and stop being a tight arse and buy a cheap rod + reel combo from a sports shop for like $50
    A shortcut is the shortest distance and longest time between two points

They used to be all anyone used years ago fishing from a boat,the old man still prefers to use one for cod even tho at last count there was 22 rods and reels in his shed!
    Great for young kids too as rod and real can be a bit tricky for young ones.
    Cant say Iv ever tryed fresh water fishing with one but then Im not a freshwater fisherman
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

my son still uses one to fish for eels out in the creek beside my workshop.....and the near camp grounds at Big Bay. Still good fun and in under the trees there is no drama with rod tips getting broken. Rods for the boat though .

I've actually got a rod in NZ, I just like the idea of tossing a handline in my backpack. Mind you I don't think there are many fish in the alpine braided rivers?

Ejected
    And the ones that are there are in ranger of a spinner.

was my preferred method for a long time (got to the point I would cast a rod and leave it lying on the ground while I used it as a handline. I have caught salmon on handline with a fly...was a fun fight

Caught plenty of snapper and cod on hand lines when I was a kid,cant see myself ever going back to it though.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    was my preferred method for a long time (got to the point I would cast a rod and leave it lying on the ground while I used it as a handline. I have caught salmon on handline with a fly...was a fun fight

Living up to the username...

I spent half of today fishing, too wet to get out to where we have to do some work. Didn't catch anything. I guess porkchop isn't a very good bait.