Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By stingray
  • 2 Post By Pengy
  • 2 Post By Trigger
  • 1 Post By stingray
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By Trigger
  • 2 Post By Gibo

Thread: Fishing rod sleeve/bag

Fishing rod sleeve/bag

At the bottom of my handy-spares box, I came across several fishing rod protectors/bags/sleeves or whatever it is called now. Its been almost a decade since I bought an aftermarket one as most of my rods come with their own. These aftermarket ones I have are approximately 56" in length and 8.5' in width, green in colour and with two strings at the end to close off. I would expect the bags to be used/suitable for a 3-piece, approximately 14ft 6' surf-rod or robust 1-piece (not bent-butt) game rod.

My question is - are these bags still called fishing rod cloth bags or is there a new fandangled name for it? And where can I get them in NZ i.e. the big ones, not the skinny fly-rod type. These aftermarket cloth bags are simple roll up into a ball when not in used. These are unlike the luxurious foam/cushion type ones that you get when you buy an expensive Jigging Master/Smith/Carpenter.

Many thanks for the heads-up!

MB
    Yes, they are called rod/cloth bags. Not sure where you'd buy them. My local store was giving them away because no one wanted them when they bought a new rod. Pretty easy to make/get made.

I’ve gone with tubes slip your into it’s bag then into a capped down pipe , you can drill a hole top and bottom add a sling ..shimano gave me the idea with their 4 piece trout rods ..great for bush bashing , tough areas ..protect your gear ..
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

It has always amazed me how fishers in NZ are happy to spend big on great rods, only to have them bounce around in the car/boat bashing into each other . Given the higher carbon content these days, it is only a matter of time before the small hairline cracks created during such treatment turn into a catastrophic event when the fish of a life time is hooked.
    stingray and MB like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Thanks fellas. A lot of NZ fishers don’t use any bags or rod protection is, I think partially due to ignorance of rod composition, long term habit and convenience of always being at the ready. I have the Bazuka and Plano tubes at the ready when I travel overseas and between cities for charter fishing etc. There was once when the end-cap of my Plano tube popped off and Singapore Air crushed the tip of my G.Loomis $800 bass rod from LA to AKL. To say I was pissed is an understatement.

Back to the topic - I’m not using these bags for rod protection. I’m using these bags to protect rifles instead. Cheap and easy to replace.
    stingray and MB like this.

Great info ...look up your local seamstress or canvas / tarp even upholster ..spotlight will have reams of cloth and polar fleece ..I’m sure for a price and a box off beer the local upholster can turn out a rifle scabbard easy as!
    Trigger likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    Back to the topic - I’m not using these bags for rod protection. I’m using these bags to protect rifles instead. Cheap and easy to replace.
    https://broncos.co.nz/hunting/storag...a-gun-sock-52-

The padded rod holder that I left in uk 17 years ago could take 3 rods set up with reels /rigs plus 3 more broken down. Wish I had not given it to my godson now
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    The padded rod holder that I left in uk 17 years ago could take 3 rods set up with reels /rigs plus 3 more broken down. Wish I had not given it to my godson now
    We didn't read it properly its for his rifle
    Pengy likes this.

I'm just protecting the rifles in the gun room when not out for display/ practical use. But one should always deploy sufficient protection for their rod.
    Pengy and Gibo like this.

I see what you did there
    stingray and Trigger like this.