Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By berg243
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam

Thread: flounder net for drag netting.

flounder net for drag netting.

looking at a flounder net for drag netting that is made with monofilament. was under the impression that mono was only allowed for set netting and nylon braid was for dragging have tried to find out from fisheries guy but he didn't know about netting regs except about mesh size and didn't know what rules apply for set netting down here.

Have a looksee here and also look around the site for your regions closeures and limits.

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/travel-and-r...shing-methods/

As far as I looked (which wasnt far) no mention of net material.....mesh sizes do aplly applicable to area and species so do your research...its all there on that site tho it does take a bit of looking.
    berg243 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Also better than that is google search nzfishing rules app and download that....goldmine and its all there weather in service or not.
    stingray likes this.

Just had a look at a mpi pdf , no mention at all of what nets are made of , no net to exceed 60m in length , 30 flat fish pp , rules mostly cover set nets no mention of drag nets . good time to get out there to no weed is a bonus , not sure what length you are looking at but 30M long is plenty , used a mates net last year didn't pace it out but would to have been close to 50M long we did one drag got 45 flounders & spent the next couple of hours getting weed , shells & small crabs out of it , pluss you need to really hang onto a net that size when the pushes start to come in , 20-30M is good pluss its more interesting to do more drags than just one @berg243 do you use sash weights ?
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

looking at a 12m and a 15m net made from mono but found a piece on mfish site that said net should be .35 or lighter mono and these ones are .5.also enquired with seller and he said he sends a few of his nets this way that are 25 meshes deep I think we are only allowed 9 meshes deep for a set net. used to have a 30m drag net on alloy poles but is was too hard to drag with 2 people want a small net set up with sash type weights and 150mm float at each end on the top line and not bother with poles.much easier to cart around as it will all fit in a fish bin. 40m is as long as you are allowed for a drag net. mfish site is terrible to try to find all the regs it seems so disjointed don't know why they cant put all the net rules in one section . even watched their video not anymore helpful than their site.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Here is some screen shots of the app for your area(I think? Round the bottom and up fland is another area and set of rules.)
    Highly recommend the app....much better than the website.

Interestingly you are allowed 30 ling if that is all you catch but only 5 rig.

Just looked on my other phone that has the updated app and it is even better.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    Boaraxa likes this.

I am in the southern area. hassle is I have talked to mfish rangers and they don't even know the rules and a couple net makers don't seem to know the southern net rules and just make them for the other areas .it could catch someone out when relocating from the northern areas to down here and bringing a net suitable for northern regs and setting in the southern area. that app wont work on my phone it has buttons for a keypad.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    I am in the southern area. hassle is I have talked to mfish rangers and they don't even know the rules and a couple net makers don't seem to know the southern net rules and just make them for the other areas .it could catch someone out when relocating from the northern areas to down here and bringing a net suitable for northern regs and setting in the southern area. that app wont work on my phone it has buttons for a keypad.
    Ah ok I understand that.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk