Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Fluorocarbon

Fluorocarbon

What's the go with this stuff? Do you use the same breaking strain as the main line? I'm confused, I haven't used it at all and it now seems to be the go compared to ten years ago when I was last into fishing...

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

I think its supposed to be invisible under water. Maybe some other properties like abrasion resistance. I just use it as a leader.

What are you using it for? If for softbaiting 20lb is typical

MB
    Stiffer, more abrasion-resistant and less visible in water than mono. Use the same breaking strain as mono.
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    Stiffer, more abrasion-resistant and less visible in water than mono. Use the same breaking strain as mono.
    And it's got no stretch as opposed to mono which has truckloads, mainly used as a leader, especially with braid when softbaiting, the lack of stretch gives you a lot more feel and feedback.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Whats the application? Im totally over flurocarbon for freshwater fishing.
    It is smaller diameter and tougher but, I find its fiddly has no real world difference for me as far as hook up ratios go and knots are much more fragile.
    I've tossed every spool I had in weights 12lb and under for fresh water.
    Im using old school 2kg and 3kg Maxima Green with better success for about 15% the cost.
    If its low stretch and straight out castability I'd go braid with a nylon leader.
    Shearer and Biggun708 like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Very slippery that is why some nylon knots simply don't work on the fluorocarbon. I use it for soft baiting.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I use 9lb for trout jigging, don't many catch Trout so it's probably useless.
    jakewire and Pengy like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Flurocarbon is for leaders/traces. Refractive index is close to water making it less visible under water so in theory you can use heavier trace with no disadvantage.
    Don't know about stretch as you will only ever use short lengths of it so irrelevant really. I use it on all my light gear (up to about 20lb bs) combined with much stronger braid mainline. I buy it off Ali express
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SeaK...311.0.0.xv3DOm
    for a fraction of the price you can get it here. It does vary brand to brand but you have to try it to find out. The only bad one I have tried was Berkley Vanish (crap knot strength) and that was a long time ago.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Very slippery that is why some nylon knots simply don't work on the fluorocarbon. I use it for soft baiting.
    In the smaller diameters, and in my experience I disagree. Its not a supple as nylon I've found and knots when being pulled up feel as though they chatter their way down the line. I use spit with most knots to lube when pulling tight. Par for the course for the fishos I know. I like to test every knot and I find fluro has a very high failure rate so re-ties are common. Last week first up I dug out a spool of Stroft 6lb and was back to Maxima within the first 5 minutes. Gear lost in a tree via knot failure. Same snags with mono pulled free easy for the rest of the day. I even lifted a large branch from a deepish pool when I got snagged up with 2kg Maxima Green mono.
    I've used pretty much every premium brand and have yet to find one that outperforms plain Jane Maxima. I've used a number of knots too but always go back to a Uni. YMMV as I am talking mainly for flurocarbon in light weights.
    Biggun708 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Uni knot is king
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

MB
    Fishing isn’t science and it’s hard to prove that one product is better than another when it comes down to actual fish catching. Maybe the fluorocarbon thing is all hype. Maybe it really is better. I suspect the truth lies somewhere in between and it depends on your specific circumstances.

Yes to a well tied uni knot for mono and fluoro. My attempts at crimping fluorocarbon just don’t stand up to test, so I’m sticking with mono for game fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Uni knot is king
    Yes. Yes it is.
    Shearer likes this.

I use it for leaders on my softbait and kingi gear for the abrasion resistance and invisibility in 20p and 120p respectively.
    I have never had a knot fail yet but the 120 can be tricky to get to cinch down nice.
    Drag some fluro over a bait knife and then some mono and the difference will be immediately obvious.
    Bottom fishing gear I dont bother unless the rod happens to have some on it as I will be attaching to a ledger or strayline rig anyway.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yeah sorry should have said it was for soft baiting and traces for Kingy stuff, stickbaits, poppers etc. Straylines too... I think there is some good info here, will keep reading though.