Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 6 Post By 40mm
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By quentin
  • 1 Post By Chur Bay

Thread: Free Diving Gear

Free Diving Gear

I'm keen to try some Free Diving. Where is a good place to buy fins and gear? Is it cheaper going overseas? Any good recommendations appreciated.

And here I was thinking I might get a replacement BCD at a good rate!
    Use enough gun

MB
    I'm no expert, but good gear and service from Wettie.
    stingray likes this.

Wettie suits are around 50mm longer in legs and arms, nz designed suits are abit more robust than euro stuff also
    All other gear needed is personal preference for cost vs quality

Freediving as in diving for depth, or spearfishing? Different gear required for the two disciplines

Places to try are oceanhunter.co.nz, wettie.co.nz, wildblue.co.nz. All are reputable, and carry different product lines.

Looking overseas might look attractive, but most of this gear needs to be tried on for proper fit. You will find yourself trying on quite a few masks, to get one that is just right. Fins are similar, as the foot pockets are all slightly different. Wetsuits are a lot more forgiving with fit - definitely look for something made for freediving or spearfishing, as they are a lot warmer than scuba suits.
    stingray and MB like this.

Cheers for that. Just want to start looking around for pauas and crays at this stage. Maybe try spearfishing when I get more proficient. So probably just a beginner set. I used to do a lot of scuba diving but that was 20 years ago so I've been out of the game for a while.
    stingray likes this.

I know a guy in Kaikoura who has just started up a new business with diving gear and trips. Diving was something I tried in the 80s but has not really been my thing since so I cannot say if he is good, great or otherwise. But as a person he is straight up, honest and one of the people I will say that I am extremely grateful to count as a friend.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    definitely look for something made for freediving or spearfishing, as they are a lot warmer than scuba suits.

100%

Getting a proper spearo suit was a game changer for me, way warmer and more flexible, BUT they require a lot of lubrication to get in/out of and the lining is easily damaged.