Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Game fishing

Game fishing

Anyone else out the getting stuck in at this time of year? Ben an early start with plenty of fish. Especially yellow fin.Name:  IMG_20210103_100827.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  3.97 MB

Nice!!
    How far out do you need to go to get oe of those?

This one was in 250m deep. Probably 18 klm off the coast. Mind you we see the odd super small boat when the weather is mint. As the season goes on there's some real small boats out catching marlin.
    In fact the black marlin are where we fish for kings but hardly anyone actually targets them
    Beaker likes this.

Ive just got a 4.3 metre tinny. Heading up to Whangaroa in a couple of weeks. Might try and catch some skippies and Albies when Im there. Have zero idea of what to do though.
    What sort of speed do you need to troll at? Would a good size Rapala catch a Yellowfin? Dont have much in the way of lures.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Ive just got a 4.3 metre tinny. Heading up to Whangaroa in a couple of weeks. Might try and catch some skippies and Albies when Im there. Have zero idea of what to do though.
    What sort of speed do you need to troll at? Would a good size Rapala catch a Yellowfin? Dont have much in the way of lures.
    Rapala troll at a slightly lower speed than plugging type lures. The tuna certainly do go for them, actually they probably prefer them as they can be quite boat shy so a deeper lure often gets the nib. I'd start at 5knots and see how that goes.
    Beaker likes this.

Cheers for that.

I went out last week in my 5.8m Lazercraft. Left from Mangawhai and headed out to the 200m mark behind the mokes (about 40nm). Caught a bunch of skippies and an albacore. Had a marlin smash a skippy no more than 15m from the boat. Very exciting.

I'm planning on doing a fair bit more this summer.
    Beaker, Gibo and Shearer like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

That's big enough so long as you choose your weather window. A big black off stevies at the mo. Lots of sharks inside 60m tho.
    We got this one of Stevenson island last year.
    Name:  IMG_20200127_114925.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  3.58 MB
    Beaker, Gibo, Woody and 2 others like this.

Name:  IMG_20200127_114851.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  5.10 MB

Such a pretty fish. We're out this weekend.
    I'd Outback stick to site trolling a bridle rigged Skippy or ably. You may get sharked but it takes minimum gear and skill. Also when you find a fish there's a very high chance they'll eat it.
    Gibo, Woody, Sideshow and 1 others like this.

Dorkus, as per you're pm here's your reel. More than capable. This one was 130-140kilos and it had no trouble. I think they're nicer to use than the big gold tanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dorkus likes this.

Name:  IMG_20170206_101401.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  2.22 MB

Here's another one out of there with a lure probably similar to what you are going to run.

Name:  IMG_1682.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  2.93 MB

This is where we often moor for the night there. It's my favorite place on NZ coast I think.

My wife and I gave it a rev a few years ago in a small boat off the tuts coast and hooked what we still think was a black. It swallowed a big kahawai. We fought back and forth through a bunch of runs then had it die on the bottom. Thing weighed a ton. We got advice on how to plane a fish of the bottom but took forever to just get it off the bottom. We hooked it at 1pm at 7.30 we were still batting away but had it close to the surface. Unfortunately it was near dark, as I would have chucked my free diving gear on and swam the flying gaff down to get it up. It had got choppy and dark and I just wasn't keen on being eaten by something.
    After 7hrs we must have touched something on the boat as we were under huge strain on 37kg and it broke at the back of the boat. We were devastated. I was bruised for a week. The point is, even though there's a chance of nothing happening... if it does... it's epic.
    7mmwsm, Beaker, Gibo and 1 others like this.

Didn't realise that first pic was blurry sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Dorkus, as per you're pm here's your reel. More than capable. This one was 130-140kilos and it had no trouble. I think they're nicer to use than the big gold tanks.
    Guessing its a Talica? May be lighter and nicer to use but certain Not as robust as a Tiagra, inside and out

Or have the amount of line? I’m unsure as I’m looking at adding another gold tank to the wish list after being up Waihau lately.
    Epic chaps!
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Or have the amount of line? I’m unsure as I’m looking at adding another gold tank to the wish list after being up Waihau lately.
    Epic chaps!
    Spool them with braid and a 100m topshot of mono. Get heaps on!
    Beaker and Danny like this.