Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By Blisters
  • 4 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By 2post

Thread: GT Kontiki Steering issues

GT Kontiki Steering issues

Hi,
    I have an older GT Kontiki that up until now has worked awesomely. Now something has gone wrong with the steering or electronic compass. I set the bearing and start the motor the rudder starts rotating. If i change the heading of the kontiki the rubber will rotate in the opposite direction.
    it seems that the compass is still doing its job but the steering module has stopped functioning properly.
    I do not know what the inside off the GT looks like or exactly how to take it apart to get to the steering module.

I have spoken to the guys at GT and they have told me $500 to replace compass and steering unit. I would think that the right parts would cost $20 off alibaba?

Can anybody help or suggest how to fix it. I was even thinking that a GPS unit could be retro fitted?????

Thanks

Personally I would suggest that $500 all up including GST to replace the Steering unit and electronic compass is pretty reasonable if that includes installation.

Retrofitting a GPS will not give yo a heading only Course over ground and unit has to be moving to in order calculate that so not much use for an autopilot
    tetawa and Blisters like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Yeah I'd just get them to do it, then if it doesn't work you can send it back . Also all electronics are just magic anyway, how do they get the smoke in the wires?
    mikee and Tommy like this.

Their like any franchise dealer, if you need them your going to pay. Have had reason to take my Seahorse back for repair and their charges were very reasonable. But to add another prospective they may be doing it tough now the Drones are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Yeah I'd just get them to do it, then if it doesn't work you can send it back . Also all electronics are just magic anyway, how do they get the smoke in the wires?
    We use smoke compressors smoke smoke needles to get it in with a dab of RTV at the end.
    veitnamcam, Tommy, ROKTOY and 1 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I pulled my dad up who is an electronics engineer and told him you just look for the burnt bits anyone can do that. He said yes but do you know what it was before it caught fire? Much respect @mikee if you can get the smoke back in.
    mikee likes this.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.