Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Guy sets a Kontiki off a beach - catches Marlin!

Guy sets a Kontiki off a beach - catches Marlin!

Northland beach angler reels in 142kg striped marlin: 'I must have got a bit lucky today' - NZ Herald

A Northland fisherman had a big surprise this afternoon after he caught a 142kg striped marlin at Ripiro Beach in Dargaville.

Ross Sherman, from Baylys Beach, was land-based fishing with his wife, brother and son when he hooked the huge fish on his longline.

Sherman said he had his Seahorse Electric Kontiki longline cast 1800m out when he started to see splashing in the distance.

"I obviously caught a kahawai and a marlin has come in and taken the kahawai," he said.

"I could see the splashing going on because it was a nice day and the sea was nice and calm.

"I was in the process of getting my binoculars out when my longline reel started taking off, so I knew I had something large on."

Sherman said it was quite difficult to pull the game fish in.

"I have an electric winch which I had to help as it came in. It took about three quarters of an hour to get it in," he said.

"I got it to about 50m from the shore and then it actually came disconnected from the line, so I got my son who is a good surfer to go out there and tie the line around its tail."

He said he was elated, and still a bit stunned, by the hefty catch.

"This is definitely the biggest fish I have ever caught. I must have got a bit lucky today."

Sherman believed he may have broken a national record by reeling in the first land-based marlin caught in New Zealand.

"I haven't heard of it being done before," he said. "They are usually caught off boats, a few kilometres out to sea."

He said it took four people to lift the fish, which was now prepped and cooking in the smokehouse.

He is quoted as saying " "They are usually caught off boats, a few kilometres out to sea." when earlier he states "he had his Seahorse Electric Kontiki longline cast 1800m out"!!! ---- 1800m out is near enough to a couple kms out to sea !!!! his line was where the boats catch them. Why is he surprised?

Longline or not still an epic land based catch!
    stingray and Beaker like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Oh hell yes, I would be dancing
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

The only thing that boggles my mind is how a pissy little long line hook held on normally pissy trace too

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    The only thing that boggles my mind is how a pissy little long line hook held on normally pissy trace too
    Light gear is the go atm. Running lighter hooks that set with less force needed and ~7kg drag has been slaying them apparently. Even my lil cuz managed to pull one in on the light gear because of this at 13yo.

Bayleys is a stunner of a beach but definitely a first to get a marlin on the torpedo haha

Quote Originally Posted by Haggie View Post
    Light gear is the go atm. Running lighter hooks that set with less force needed and ~7kg drag has been slaying them apparently. Even my lil cuz managed to pull one in on the light gear because of this at 13yo.

Bayleys is a stunner of a beach but definitely a first to get a marlin on the torpedo haha
    Yeah we run all light gauge system, not quite as light as a traditional long line set though which down here is normally a 3-4/0 recurve with 60lb trace to the backbone.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Not common for them to be caught within two kms of the shore in NZ.
    Fair point. I would probably be stoked if I caught something the size of a kingi...let alone that big. Feed the troups for ages...

Fulla
    That's mean! (I am finding it a little hard to believe though) my best on kontiki, is three kingis.

Iv had a shark unsure of type nearly twice my size on my longline.....it had been going along the line eating snapper just leaving the heads but must have cocked up and got hooked somehow.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    stingray and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Might have been using decent gear like commercial hooks and traces....they are pretty tough.
    I run 7 and 8 circles and 80p supple trace.

Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Might have been using decent gear like commercial hooks and traces....they are pretty tough.
    I run 7 and 8 circles and 80p supple trace.

Yeah I get that. Even 80lb trace is bloody lucky, them bills aint nice to mono at all, even 400+lb get rarked up like its been pole dancing on a sander. Bloody tin arse is all I can say. What an achievement
    veitnamcam likes this.

Tbh i reckon its a bit sad, great sport love catching and releasing them they are ok eating but just on a long line seems like a waste

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Tbh i reckon its a bit sad, great sport love catching and releasing them they are ok eating but just on a long line seems like a waste
    I dunno, 45 minutes handling a smoking long line spool would be pretty exciting Add to that it fell off in the waves and the youngster had to go man handle it in
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and stingray like this.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    if you catch a marlin off land you deserve it. 1 off the land is 10 in a boat they say. pretty rare to do that.