Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Lip grippers

  1. #1
    Member stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    nelson
    Posts
    1,881

    Lip grippers

    Anyone using these . If so is there a brand you recommened/ avoid.

    Thinking of trying to avoid handling cod, have dived under boats after returning fish that looked heathy as to find a number dead on the bottom. I thinking lip grippers and barbless hooks should help with this mortality.
    Nil durum volenti !!

  2. #2
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,140
    Havent used them myself so cant comment.

    Do you use very large circle hooks? swallowing the bait or gill hooking would have to be right up there in causing released cod to die wouldn't it?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  3. #3
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    7,265
    Get yourself a pair of Gardening gloves (one with the rubber in the grip area) makes handling the fish easy, and use as VC says very large circle hooks

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Thornbury , Southland
    Posts
    535
    I bought a pair of stainless needle nosed pliers , and just grip hook by the shank and roll backward out whilst holding leader with other hand ,all but the head still in the water and they drop in untouched ( un whacked against the side/bottom of boat , un squashed , un burnt on sun baked surface ,and minimal stress ) . 5/0 circle hooks ( squash the barb down a bit if you must ) , and don't give the fish to much time to swallow bait , ideally you want to tighten the line ( don't pull its head off ) while the bait is still in its mouth
    Vegetarians Bah !! . If god didn't want us to eat animals he wouldn't have made them out of meat ! .

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    canterbury
    Posts
    1,448
    Forget the line and just spear them
    stingray and sambnz like this.

  6. #6
    MB
    MB is offline
    Member MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Thinking of trying to avoid handling cod, have dived under boats after returning fish that looked heathy as to find a number dead on the bottom. I thinking lip grippers and barbless hooks should help with this mortality.
    Not sure about that. I remember reading about fish getting spine injuries after lip grippers were used. However, it may have been more about the way the were used. I think fish survival post-release is a lot lower than we think, especially in deeper water which is a bit depressing. I now aim to catch only what I want and stop when I've caught it. It doesn't always work out, but I'm trying.
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.

  7. #7
    Member stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    nelson
    Posts
    1,881
    Yeah large hooks, it's the handling I'm working on now, I know what you mean, gill / throat hooked is a death sentence ...what I am seeing is a 32 / 32.5 cm lip hooked handled released swims away. Goes into shock.. Damaged ... Dead

    I honestly apreciate all the comments and ideas. What I'm thinking is to find a way / best practice to reduce the deaths of a damn near legal fish. That in a years time will be a taker.

    I'm all for spearing them nothing like cracking Kina and sitting back smoking big boys as they sneak in for a feed.The crew on the other hand like to catch their cod
    veitnamcam and sambnz like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

  8. #8
    Addicted puku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maniototo
    Posts
    2,018
    Trade zone gone fishing had something about percentages of fish released that die afterwards

    Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

  9. #9
    MB
    MB is offline
    Member MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Whangarei
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    I honestly apreciate all the comments and ideas. What I'm thinking is to find a way / best practice to reduce the deaths of a damn near legal fish.
    I haven't done any serious bait fishing for 3 years, just softies and jigs = no gut hooked fish and average fish size is much bigger. Talking about snapper in the Northland, don't know if that would be realistic in other parts of the country though.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,210
    Circle hooks and a hook puller. I make hook pullers out of number 8 wire. A simple 12 inch length with a right angle bend the width of your hand on one end(for a handle) and a small hook bent in the other end. (I made a few out of stainless in the early days, but it hurts when some clown drops one over the side. Number 8 is way cheaper) It's a bit hard to explain how they work. Catch the trace with the puller (trace in your left hand, puller in your right), slide trace through puller until bend in hook is hooked in puller. Lift up with your right hand and push down with your left so trace is parallel with the fish. Puller has stopped in the bend of the hook. If it is done right, the fish will be only be held on the hook by the barb and/or the tip of the circle. A sideways twist of the puller sees the fish fall off untouched by hands. Only works on lip hooked fish though. I normally use the cheap square long line hooks for rod fishing and probably get less than ten percent hooked anywhere other than the lip.
    gadgetman and stingray like this.

  11. #11
    GSP Mad Munsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    5,228
    .what I am seeing is a 32 / 32.5 cm lip hooked handled released swims away. Goes into shock... sounds like you a rolling pin , couple of rolls those cod be 33 cm .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

  12. #12
    Member stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    nelson
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    I haven't done any serious bait fishing for 3 years, just softies and jigs = no gut hooked fish and average fish size is much bigger. Talking about snapper in the Northland, don't know if that would be realistic in other parts of the country though.
    Ask @Munsey about fishing with soft baits...
    Oldmout likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

  13. #13
    Member Pengy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Up in da hills somewhere near Nelson
    Posts
    8,440
    I have lip gripper here you can have @stingray.
    Be usefull for all those pesky sharks too. They are Berkley brand
    gadgetman, Munsey and stingray like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

  14. #14
    Member stingray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    nelson
    Posts
    1,881
    Wow , huge thanks @Pengy, we will have to do a trip soon and give them a work out.
    Pengy likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

  15. #15
    Member gadgetman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    14,891
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Circle hooks and a hook puller. I make hook pullers out of number 8 wire. A simple 12 inch length with a right angle bend the width of your hand on one end(for a handle) and a small hook bent in the other end. (I made a few out of stainless in the early days, but it hurts when some clown drops one over the side. Number 8 is way cheaper) It's a bit hard to explain how they work. Catch the trace with the puller (trace in your left hand, puller in your right), slide trace through puller until bend in hook is hooked in puller. Lift up with your right hand and push down with your left so trace is parallel with the fish. Puller has stopped in the bend of the hook. If it is done right, the fish will be only be held on the hook by the barb and/or the tip of the circle. A sideways twist of the puller sees the fish fall off untouched by hands. Only works on lip hooked fish though. I normally use the cheap square long line hooks for rod fishing and probably get less than ten percent hooked anywhere other than the lip.
    I've used these on commercial charter boats and they work really well.
    puku and stingray like this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Lip grippers
    By Pengy in forum Fishing
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-10-2013, 07:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!