Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 3 Post By veitnamcam
  • 8 Post By gadgetman
  • 1 Post By madjon_
  • 1 Post By Ingrid 51
  • 1 Post By gadgetman

Thread: Long Line Traces

Cool Long Line Traces

Looking at making up some long line traces for use from the yak. The standard size are way too long for the limited space I have to work with so DIY is the way to go. Used some googlefoo and found out how to tie the knots for the hooks, next issue what size line to use? Will use PVC pipe as a trace rack with some small notches and some pool noodle in the middle for floatation.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Keen to see what you come up with, I have been thinking of setting up a compact long line for my kayak too.

I use old 50lb game nylon. Its ok but I also thread a 3" section of very thin diameter pvc clear tube down onto the hook. This stops Mr snapr from wearing it through. Soeyimes I also thread a small piece of polystyrene just above the tube as an attractant and to float the hook above the crabs.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

If I may suggest these hooks in the largest size you can get.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/sports/fis...1935129708.htm

buy direct from their website tho.

The wire appendage helps prevent them swallowing the hook, large size hooks are just better in every way even an 9/0 will still catch undersize fish no problem but are easier to bait and remove hooks and once again less chance of it being swallowed....Ive got 6s 7s and 8s and prefer the 7s and 8s but they havent been able to supply the bigger hooks for a while or at least not with the appendage.

I use a "supple" or "tough" trace from black majic in 40-80p....80p is overkill but can handle some chaffing without needing to be replaced all the time.
    gadgetman, stingray and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Gave trace tying a first go. Can't buy anything useful in a kayak friendly sized. Found a hundred 5/0 circle hooks languishing in a box, bought on a clearance special. Bought a hundred long line clips to go with then, figured they'd disappear over time and might as well share the freight with myself. The odd couple a little loose, another odd couple a little tight but mostly spot on. Reasonably happy for a first effort. The trace rack is some 80mm PVC downpipe cut to 260mm with 8mm deep slits (roughly).

Name:  DSC_0897a.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  DSC_0898a.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  70.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0899a.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  113.7 KB
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Clever ideas there, for a young fella

What sort of dropper length should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Gave trace tying a first go. Can't buy anything useful in a kayak friendly sized. Found a hundred 5/0 circle hooks languishing in a box, bought on a clearance special. Bought a hundred long line clips to go with then, figured they'd disappear over time and might as well share the freight with myself. The odd couple a little loose, another odd couple a little tight but mostly spot on. Reasonably happy for a first effort. The trace rack is some 80mm PVC downpipe cut to 260mm with 8mm deep slits (roughly).

Attachment 104874

Attachment 104875

Attachment 104876
    Very pretty,Joe's tame sharks are gunna love them
    gadgetman likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

When living near Waihi Beach (sandy bottom) we used the following longline bits. (A) 450 -500mm galvanised chain as an anchor as easy to recover. It was clipped to backbone and dropper line via small ‘shark clips’. (B) Backbone was commercial stuff, cut to approx 50m so one hook every two stoppers. This prevented tangling of traces. (C) Traces were snooded on like your hooks. We used the square jawed commercial type (name forgotten, but think it started with letter W). Traces were 15Kg weight (Kingis) and about the width of a bread crate as we used that for our trace holder. (D) Flag was bright orange AND black. It was pop riveted to about 1500mm of plastic conduit, that was fed through a cottonreel type polystyrene buoy. Chain was attached to the protruding conduit under the buoy to hold the flagpole vertical in wind. (E) Recovery reel was an electric fence one. It was held on knees by crew as I pulled in line and undid fish. When out alone, I fitted the reel to a rodholder via suitable broom handle offcut. (F) The line was set and recovered after 40-45 minutes only. This system slayed hundreds of fish.
    gadgetman likes this.

Fulla
    Maybe add a fluro bead above the hook, seems to help. An attractant.
    I thought the clear tube over the line was to stop the trace wrapping around the backbone..... I dunno.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    Maybe add a fluro bead above the hook, seems to help. An attractant.
    I thought the clear tube over the line was to stop the trace wrapping around the backbone..... I dunno.
    Main reason for tube seems to be to stop fish chomping through the trace.
    bully likes this.