Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Sauer
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Beaker
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By MB

Thread: Marine e-charts.

Marine e-charts.

New to this stuff so I could do with some advice on the best way to get good charts on my plotter.
    I have a Garmin Echomap 62+ with the shit base map on it and am after something with good contour and the ability to track and mark waypoints.
    I have found a couple of really good maps (one on the internet and one is an app) but both need cell coverage to work and ideally I don't want to be pissing around with my phone when I have a chart plotter screen right in front of me.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

You can download a version of the Navionics charts from the App Store and it gives you a free 14 day trial if you want to see what they are like.

As you can upload contour info to Navionics (if you have the right gear) they have fairly comprehensive contour info for the Sounds, but not sure about Tasman Bay.
    Beaker, Shearer and Gkp like this.

MB
    Navionics app doesn't require a phone signal to work. It's actually quite good and the map is not different from what you would get on a chartplotter. Some people have dedicated phone/tablet holders on their boat which makes life easier. Having said that, it's nicer to have the maps on your chartplotter and no concerns about waterproofing. If you want a map on your fish finder unit, then either Navionics or C-Map on an SD card will do the job.
    Shearer likes this.

+1 for the Navionics. Good app, and good charts.
    I have a simrad evo3 with it in, plus on phone. The phone one is great to decide where your going (works distances, fuel burn, etc) , or having a chat to a mate where they've been/going etc.
    Been meaning to get the phone to talk to the head unit, but I've stuffed something up, but when that's done, you can plot courses on phone or computer, and transfer into head unit. Plus pull tracks and way points back out to Navionics account for backup.
    Shearer likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

On this subject, how do you find good e-charts for inland waterways??? They don't seem to exist, or am I missing something. I've looked everywhere.

I've been using Genesis Live too, but while it seemed to update the server maps in January, files I've recorded in subsequent trips over the last 6 weeks haven't updated the online maps. They've uploaded to the server, but they don't appear to have updated the maps. I'm getting to the point of giving up. I'm using a Lowrance system.

Inland waterway charting does not exist as the market is too small to make it cost effective.

Garmins own charting is quite good. I think they only support their own charting with some Navionics features included
    Navioincs and CMAP apps are quite good and cheap, their charts (the same charts) on SD / MMC or other types of card storage are generally NOT cheap $200-400 or more usually depending on area's covered.

I would suggest download either the Navionics or CMap app and use that for a bit, if you like the charts then you might be able to justify the cost of the SD card version
    Shearer likes this.

MB
    Re: Inland waterways - a couple of manufacturers are offering units which chart as you go. i.e. you make your own charts via sounder readings. These charts are then stored and can be used in the future. My next chartplotter/fishfinder will have this option. As good as Navionics etc are, they cannot be expected to mark every single bit of reef and area of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Re: Inland waterways - a couple of manufacturers are offering units which chart as you go. i.e. you make your own charts via sounder readings. These charts are then stored and can be used in the future. My next chartplotter/fishfinder will have this option. As good as Navionics etc are, they cannot be expected to mark every single bit of reef and area of interest.
    Yeah. My Garmin has this feature. Yet to use it though. At the moment I have "all the gear, no idea"
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Gkp
    +1 navionics

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Yeah. My Garmin has this feature. Yet to use it though. At the moment I have "all the gear, no idea"
    You're away then! If you don't want to spend money on charts, use a phone app to get you going, then make your own charts. You might have to RTFM!
    veitnamcam likes this.