Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: Need some advice..

Need some advice..

Well I have an interesting challenge. Wife's bestie is bringing newish partner to stay a couple of days over Easter. He wants to go fly fishing. I was an avid fly fisherman for 25 yrs out of Wellington and Dunedin up until late 90s. For a number of long story reasons I have hardly fished since and never in Taranaki where I now live. I do have all my old graphite rods and System Two reels in various weights for small water to salt, and boxes and boxes of flies that the moth have hopefully left alone. My lines will resemble a new telephone cord so will be springing for that in a 6-7 weight for all round goodness . And I'll probably get me a season license and a day license for him. He has not really fly fished. Lovely guy tho in his early 70s and on to it pretty good. having taught a bunch of newbies in my past I think I can get him started.

Big question is where to go out of New Plymouth??. Will be catch and release as I can't eat trout any more and only kill what I can eat.

I had intended to get back into a bit of fly fishing but a little more measured than this lol

Any help appreciated. Maybe I can reciprocate in the shooting stakes.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Gone but not forgotten
    The Waingongoro (near Normanby/Hawera) is a pretty good trout river.
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    The Waingongoro (near Normanby/Hawera) is a pretty good trout river.
    Ok thks, that's handy

nothing has changed trout wise in 25 years..they still eat the same stuff,way back when lived in Taumarunui...a size 12 hare n copper was my go to....
    dont be scared to give old school across n down with a wee wet for the newbie......it still works too and might take a bit of pressure off you.
    good luck....ok I got to ask,how come you CANT eat trout anymore??? vegan wife perhaps???
    Jhon likes this.

Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    nothing has changed trout wise in 25 years..they still eat the same stuff,way back when lived in Taumarunui...a size 12 hare n copper was my go to....
    dont be scared to give old school across n down with a wee wet for the newbie......it still works too and might take a bit of pressure off you.
    good luck....ok I got to ask,how come you CANT eat trout anymore??? vegan wife perhaps???
    Arthritis. Trout unlike salmon is high in purine. Causes inflammation, ultimately gout

shhhhh dont tell me that bud...I love trout to eat....gouteaze pills and montgomerry cherries are your friend.

Awesome! Thks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    shhhhh dont tell me that bud...I love trout to eat....gouteaze pills and montgomerry cherries are your friend.
    Ha, I had six weeks horizontal in 2017. did my research, changed my diet with lot of trial and error, take a daily pill and all is reasonably good. Arthritis is something you learn to live with, or not. .
    Micky Duck likes this.

I was laid up with gout a few years back,the gouteaze and vitaminB5 keep me good..dropped peas from diet (love eating peas) and limit my fried deer heart scoff sessions to once in blue moon now.....I get warning twinges and make sure to take my pills..from health food shop... and seem to be fine without them for weeks,but first twinge,get back on them and it all good again .
    great you are on top of it and not letting it hold you back.
    Jhon and m101a1 like this.