Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: No scallops again!

No scallops again!

Quote 1
    Annual biomass surveys are carried out to estimate the abundance of scallops, and while there are signs of improvement in several parts of the Marlborough Sounds, numbers of scallops in Golden and Tasman Bays remain low. Results of a further survey will be published later this year. ....

Quote 2
    What about the rest of SCA 7 (Golden Bay and Tasman Bay)?
    Once the Marlborough Sounds strategy is finalised, the SSWG will start to consider an approach to managing and restoring the Golden Bay and Tasman Bay scallop fisheries, which includes the Croisilles Harbour. These areas have not been considered as part of this strategy as their biomass remains negligible. The immediate priority was identified as the Marlborough Sounds.

Quite a document ...I will try to paste a link but for us in Nelson / area ...we won't be eating scallops for years to come!

https://govt.us12.list-manage.com/tr...2&e=b5a17108d4
    Nil durum volenti !!

I will park my personal feelings , and say this they inhanced / seeded the golden bay beds along with Crosilles very successfully in the past!

Cawthrown and Niwa and Sanfords have a plant at the Glenndunne which is producing mussel spat in commercial quantities . Why can they not do a run or even a contineued plan to seed Tasman and Malbrough beds? To grow the beds you need a viable biomass and yes conditions ...tasman bay is a mud hole and has little chance of changing without some intervention on a govt scale , Goldenbay is at the other end to the scale and would be well worth investing in!
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

The history of the scallop and mussel beds in Tasman bay ...a 2012 report into rebuild the mussel beds ...I believe is has gone ignored
    http://www.reviveourgulf.org.nz/reso...ssel_FINAL.pdf
    Nil durum volenti !!

So to end my rant, you need a biomass off hundreds probably thousands of tons of mussels and scallops filletering tasman bay
    A to help suspend the nuterntes and particles that are chokeing Tasman bay,
    B provide a base biomass to spawn and rebuild what was massive beds of filter feeders within the bay.
    C habitat without this base settling silt etc will just continue to slug the waters up to a point of

To do this ...council / goverment and public need to buy into the rebuild ...engaging private sponsorship , commercial buy in the lot..this fishery is needs a lot of help now. It needs a huge injection of filter feeders and without them it will see Tasman bay become a sespit.

Question am I the person to lead this ...no probably not...but will I start the ball rolling ..yes!

What do I need ...some help contacts and real info regarding cost per ton for mussel either half grown or spat..resource consent etc ...this is where I will battle beaurocie vs passion ...I can see the end game they see red tape ...this what kills it for me ...so post ideas thoughts etc .

Thanks for reading Joe
    burtonator, Shootm and veitnamcam like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

R93
    I'll be honest. You seem to know a lot more about the situation/science than most. Happy to throw a few dollars your way if you get traction.

I am just a knuckle dragger that misses diving for scallops. One of the more relaxing dives I do for a feed.

It was 3 yrs ago iirc last time I filled a bag or 2 from the areas affected by the ban. Haven't had a feed since either.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    So to end my rant, you need a biomass off hundreds probably thousands of tons of mussels and scallops filletering tasman bay
    A to help suspend the nuterntes and particles that are chokeing Tasman bay,
    B provide a base biomass to spawn and rebuild what was massive beds of filter feeders within the bay.
    C habitat without this base settling silt etc will just continue to slug the waters up to a point of

To do this ...council / goverment and public need to buy into the rebuild ...engaging private sponsorship , commercial buy in the lot..this fishery is needs a lot of help now. It needs a huge injection of filter feeders and without them it will see Tasman bay become a sespit.

Question am I the person to lead this ...no probably not...but will I start the ball rolling ..yes!

What do I need ...some help contacts and real info regarding cost per ton for mussel either half grown or spat..resource consent etc ...this is where I will battle beaurocie vs passion ...I can see the end game they see red tape ...this what kills it for me ...so post ideas thoughts etc .

Thanks for reading Joe
    I can most likely find out the approx cost of spat tomorrow.

R93
    I dove a mooring last year covered in mussels out of picton.

I remember a heap of scallops around the 35-40ft mark.
    Have dived the area for scallops before and do not remember there being so many.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    stingray likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

The bay has gone over the tipping point and needs help to recover that is for sure, dumping large areas of shell for the mussels to attach to would be easy enough and not even that expensive in the grand scheme of things, banning bottom trawling over the vast areas required would meet some stiff opposition tho I bet.

Also fishing forestry farming and councils need to be held to account and should be paying to fix it, it is not one single sector at fault but all of them combined.
    stingray and Tommy like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

According to the chaps I was with today the thick silt/mud on seabed is the culprit and also what they believe wiped out large numbers of paddle crabs in Golden Bay over last couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I can most likely find out the approx cost of spat tomorrow.
    Cheers Mikee , that would be a starting point.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Fuck all of that will happen until Winnie pops his clogs
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

okiwi has the mussels and from what I've dived the scallops it will only improve ...I'm all for dropping a couple of hundred ton of scallops and or mussels in the marine reserve. Good currents along with a solid boot on great place to start
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

So with this quote the Tasman beds are being left up to us!

Once the Marlborough Sounds strategy is finalised, the SSWG will start to consider an approach to managing and restoring the Golden Bay and Tasman Bay scallop fisheries, which includes the Croisilles Harbour. These areas have not been considered as part of this strategy as their biomass remains negligible. The immediate priority was identified as the Marlborough Sounds. End quote

Rightly so Okiwi beds in my opinion are at a level where left alone they will improve slowly ...yes a reseeding would benefit the beds a lot BUT if we are to recover beds our focus needs to be golden bay or the Tasman bay.

My thoughts are to reseed a scollap beds that were worked over commercially two specfic areas but not reseeded as the venture came to an end 1st or second I'm not pushing a personal faviorite ...
    From Delwhare bay ( including it ) down to Cape Soucis in a band from 20 meters - 30 meters ..this is still a firm clean bed with plenty of tide. Reason it was an old and very solid scallop bed it would be a great place to start a Reseeding programme.

Goldenbay ..straight out from Terakhoe between the spat farms and the shore ..this was the mother load for five years in a row tow times were meassured by the beer can ...dredges so full you couldn't lift them into the boat ...the bed as the story goes it got harvested and the seeded but a winter storm saw the river mouth a k wide dumping silt all over the spat killing it. That and the fact you have spat farms off shore filtering the water can only help .

Now onto mussels ...where to start . Basicly they are the corner stone of our bay ..filtering nitrates , settling silt ....along with this Tasman bay once held a very solid beds . Which were harvested as things were back in the day ...now we have a layer of silt / sludge so how to seed this area without killing / wasting spat ...first drop old beds with some fill .ie mussel or oyster shell giving a solid bottom structure say a couple of barges full. Then buy adult mussels off the lines with weed and everything still attached keep them in clumps ..make up large socks of the of a wide mesh cotton , wrap these clumps barge them out and add them to the shell pile.

Spat seeding that's another theory ...so now who to approach to fund this ? Us them and the community ? How not sure , when now we have to start now it's only getting worse . Enough from me ..I'm still thinking
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Unfortunately, with things like this going on, I fear for the future of our fisheries as a whole

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=12247292

Risking the devastation of some of the most fertile fishing grounds in NZ, for the sake of a f***** boat race, is simply dumb
    stingray likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Fuck all of that will happen until Winnie pops his clogs
    Sadly you are right. He stopped the kermadec sanctuary and the cameras on fishing boats. Which should have been put in place.