Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Salt water reel

Salt water reel

I almost brought a fin nor 8500 offshore reel today for $250 , have come back home to do some home work . Wanting a reel that can catch a kingi and will stop it . What's your thoughts ? I've never had a decent egg beater these seem very well built
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Specs

Details

A reel with drag to burn

The Fin-Nor Offshore OF8500 Spinning Reel features a multi-stacked drag system that is capable of churning out a massive 27.2kg of drag. Made up of 10 cotton/carbon fiber and stainless steel washers it provides you with an ultra-smooth and ultra-durable feel, just as you would expect from a Fin-Nor reel. This huge drag system makes it ideal for targeting Kingfish and other hard fighting specimens.
    Strong aluminium bodies and 4 double-shielded bearings provide a solid foundation for the stainless steel drive gear and pinion gear, which is backed up by a strong stainless steel centre shaft. Used for a multitude of purposes from jigging with 37kg braid to casting poppers and live baiting this is an ultimate big boys toy.

Fin-Nor Offshore OF8500 Spinning Reel Features:
    Strong aluminum body, sideplate and rotor
    Stainless steel drive and pinion gears
    Stainless steel center shaft
    4 Double-shielded stainless steel bearings
    Forged aluminum spool
    11-Disc stainless steel and carbon fiber drag system
    Powerful 4.4:1 gear

Fin-Nor Offshore OF8500 Spinning Reel Specifications:
    Oversized Multi-Stack Offshore Drag system
    Lock-down Drag: 60 lbs
    Line Cap. (Mono): 540 yds. / 20 lb
    Line Cap. (Braid): 400 yds. / 65 lb
    Gear Ratio: 4.4:1
    Max Drag: 27.2kg
    Inches-Per-Turn retrieve rate: 43"
    Many of our product deals are strictly limited - once they're gone, they're gone! Secure yourself this amazing deal while stocks last...by clicking the Buy Now button above.

A 1m speargun gets the job done
    But 1.2 m just to be safe
    Munsey likes this.

Munsey, Matt2308 and Gibo like this.
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

Have used the Fin-Nor, it is a strong reel and will stand up well to Kings and other powerful fish...So will the Stradic 8000fj, both have good drags and are well built within their price range.
    I own a 5000fj and have landed small kings on it from the rocks without any dramas.

You won't go wrong with either reel!
    Munsey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    That's a great price compared to elsewhere splash . I'm over my budget as it is as always

Can't help with the "eggbeater" type reels as i have never used a big reel in this style BUT if you are targeting Kingis use 60lb braid and 100lb leaders if you are jigging or trolling as a lot of people up here just use their snapper rods and and get broken off. Distressing as this is for the angler loosing and expensive lure its worse for the fish with the hooks possibly holding his jaw shut and starving to death.

I use a Jigstar 250 / Accurate Overhead reel combo which works well both for trolling and jigging. I also have recently acquired a Fin-Nor Offshore OFC16H Jigging Reel / Rod combo but not yet got it wet. Just the price was to good to refuse.

The reel you are looking at should be just fine for what you want but what type of rod is it going on??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Got about 4 to try from , haven't gone there yet . Was going with 80 lb braid and yes 100 lb leader . How long should this be 5 mts ?

Stella!!!!
    Nick.m likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Munsey View Post
    Got about 4 to try from , haven't gone there yet . Was going with 80 lb braid and yes 100 lb leader . How long should this be 5 mts ?
    I run between 5-6m leader. Are you jigging or trolling??
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Trolling and casting was the plan , am new to this so if one was to tell me jigging was the go ! Im guessing that's what I'll be doing too .

If you are in Chch and fishing round there a popper rod might be the go that you could also use for trolling.

I would struggle to use my jigging rods for casting poppers.

If you are planning on Fishing round Top of durville then Jigging is the usual preferred method.
    Munsey likes this.

Can't see me out in durville in my wee boat . I'm up at the olds place in Blenheim for a wee bit with boat . Thinking of port underwood for a fish . Any decent fishing out there ?

Can't see me out in durville in my wee boat . I'm up at the olds place in Blenheim for a wee bit with boat . Thinking of port underwood for a fish . Any decent fishing out there ?
    Not sure but there's snapper in the bay over the hill to the west, and the odd king fish
    Munsey likes this.

Paua in knee deep water, or at least there was before those guys got caught with all those under sized ones.
    Munsey likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.