Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fireflite

Thread: Salted smelt

Salted smelt

Hi guys anyone tried salting smelt to latter use as bait for trout ? do u just salt the smelt well & leave them in a bag ?

I've tried salting Barracouta for long line baits ( salt water sorry ) but had limited success, quite a lot of salt required that said smelt being a lot smaller may be easier with less flesh exposed,I would think of grabbing some Kouru ( spelling...freshwater crays) and use them for a fresh bait.

Anyway how would you fish them? Under a bubble or with a bit of split shot on a trace?
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Hi guys anyone tried salting smelt to latter use as bait for trout ? do u just salt the smelt well & leave them in a bag ?
    I remember when Grandad used to do it. The smelt were rubbed,covered with lots of salt and in a ice cream container kept cool under the water tank (40+ yrs ago).
    I did the same for a number of years when I fished the lower Oreti. They last a long time but tend to go soft after a few months.
    Boaraxa likes this.

Thanks for that , iv just salted a few in a container will try them next few days I was just going to use them like I do worms .

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Thanks for that , iv just salted a few in a container will try them next few days I was just going to use them like I do worms .
    Thread the hook through the mouth, out a gill plate and then back through the body at least once heading toward the tail. You will finish with the tip of the hook pointing back towards the head.