Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmwsm
  • 3 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By Cowboy

Thread: Squid Fishing

Squid Fishing

Any of you guys and girls in to squid fishing and would be prepared to teach a gumby how to?
    There's plenty of info out there, but I figure it is like most things, actual tuition is better than reading the manual.
    Cheers
    Jeff.
    Sika stag likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

interested myself as i like eating squid.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    interested myself as i like eating squid.
    Plenty of BIG lights in the strait at night, been told they are after squid

Plenty off the rocks. Get a decent squid lure, nice light softbait set up and get at it. Its not hard

Use to do a lot of it in Western Australia when I lived there – some of this maybe applicable to targeting them here in NZ but I’ve never tried. I’d be interested in hearing of anyone has had any success on them around the likes of Kiakoura/Akaroa etc as id imagine there would be a few around.

Locations:

Shallow waters over weed beds in close proximity to rocks were the best.
    An hour before and after the change of tide or areas with little/no current produced the best results – especially if it coincided with dawn/dusk.

Technique:

Used light spinning gear (similar to your average trout softbait setup) and good quality squid jigs. Pink and white worked best for me.
    Cast and let it sink give a series of short sharp raises of the rod to impart a bit of action on the jig by getting it too dark around, let it sink again and repeat. Squid would typically hit the jig when it was horizontal after a bit of movement.

Boring to catch but very good eating!

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Plenty of BIG lights in the strait at night, been told they are after squid
    yep but not keen on being out there with them big boats as they wouldnt feel the bump if they run over me. will give it a go during the day to see if i can find some. only ones i have caught where little ones off a wharf in dunedin about 5 to 6 inches long.

MB
    I'd rather eat squid than anything with fins apart from possibly tuna. I have failed to catch them on squid jigs, but don't really know what I'm doing. Annoyingly, I got one when I was snapper fishing with a micro jig!

What I've learnt so far is that fishing at night is better, fish near artificial light if you can and fish the jigs as you would a soft bait.

rugerman, stingray and Sika stag like this.

Is that an arrow MB? Are you boosh of fishing.net? Hard case catch on that. We get them when we bother. W dint actually try enough. Usually the odd fuck around when sray lining a berley trail.
    Having said that, they are my most fav thing to pull from the ocean. I'd happily swap crays for squid.

increasing entropy
    Got em a few times off marsden wharf before everyone else cottoned on and it's standing room only.
    One of these

Dusk seemed to do best. Charge the lumo good with your torch/headlamp, didn't even have to try really, but I think you're sposed to fast-jig them.
    Cut tubes into rings and pan-fry, or crumb and deepfry. Danglies go back in with a hook as snapper baits.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Is that an arrow MB?
    Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    Are you boosh of fishing.net?
    Yes.

------------

As for cooking, my Korean friend who is very knowledgable in such things says more than 3 seconds on either side in a hot pan and you've over done it. I agree with him.

No worries, it was me asking you what depth you were fishing out in bream bay on there the other day. I live at p bay above the old wharf.
    I had thought the arrow squid was quite different from the one we mostly catch but just researched and there's only two kinds so they're probably the same. It just seems that in close you seem to get a more rotund shaped squid while sometimes you get a longer narrow one that seems orangy coloured. Either way they all look the same under sine lemon and pepper on a plate. 😊
    MB likes this.