Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 5 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 2 Post By Fireflite
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Gapped axe
  • 3 Post By deer243

Thread: Stingrays

Stingrays

Be carefull out there guys.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/...with-sting-ray

When I think back to the size of the buggers I have had in the dingy I am probably lucky not to have been speared or maybe a healthy respect for the pointy bit has kept me safe....either way I wont be bringing the meter wide buggers on board anymore.
    stingray likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

rememeber steve irwin would have been alive today had he been wearing the right sunglasses.
    silly bugger was wearing bill bass instead of ray-bans

MB
    not sure why anyone would want to bring these beasts in to a boat. cut the line as close to the hook as possible with the fish in the water. better for you and the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    not sure why anyone would want to bring these beasts in to a boat. cut the line as close to the hook as possible with the fish in the water. better for you and the fish.
    I brought them in to eat or because it was in my flounder net.....now when they are in my net I just cut them free in the water, they eat ok but I am not exactly hard up for fish to eat.

MB
    fair enough mate. didn't realise you were talking about net fishing. dealing with an angry stingray stuck in a net doesn't sounds like much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    fair enough mate. didn't realise you were talking about net fishing. dealing with an angry stingray stuck in a net doesn't sounds like much fun!
    Not in the dark in a ten foot parkercraft it isnt but I have also caught and landed a couple of big ones on line and kept them....as I said they were ok but I am not hard up for fish so wont keep anymore as not that great and dont want to get speared either.
    Tommy likes this.

How and what bits do you usually do to cook ? I catch them quite often, will eat most anything, and like a change
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

BBQ'd the wings with a sweet chilli sauce. Used to eat it all the time at Newtons Circus in Singapore. If you use charcoal all the better. Lots of great meat on the wings. To eat it, scrape it off like a flounder wing. I would think a pepper sauce would work just as well.
    Pengy and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    How and what bits do you usually do to cook ? I catch them quite often, will eat most anything, and like a change
    I just cut off the wings then "fillet" each wing into two fillets then skin......there is no bones like a rig but like a rig there is a layer of stiff cartilage in the middle of the wing so fillet a wing like you would a flounder and feed the cartilage bit in the middle to ya dog.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk
    Tommy likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    I just prefer to let them go.
    Cordite likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Ive caught heaps of them surfcasting around the region, short tail, longtail rays, and the eagleray. The eagleray are by far the better one to hook for sport and eating. They run faster and fight harder, often taking to the air jumping and dont tend to hit the bottom like some of the other rays. Far better to eat, not bad smoked as well. Max size generally for a eagleray is 120lb, with 20lb-80lb being common with a average one likely to hook and land around 40-45lb. The short tail ray is the next common, fight ok but many are just like a bulldozer, pull hard and are hard to stop if hook a monster.
    They grow heaps bigger, have caught them up to 200lb, caught a few over 100lb and many around the 40-65lb mark. The longtail grow even bigger, seen a couple of huge ones and landed a couple. Prob the ones that smoke me are those over the 150lb mark and bigger.