Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Summer Spearfishing

Summer Spearfishing

I've been spearfishing for the last 10 years and each summer sees me out on the water as often as possible. Usually that means weeks on end of diving multiple times per week over the Christmas holidays and basically every weekend between October and April. The last 2 years has been very different, having moved from the north of Auckland down to Palmy. I've been getting a hell of a lot more hunting but the diving itch hasn't really been scratched.

This summer holiday has been the worst on record in terms of dive days - only managing five days in the water. What it has lacked in quantity was somewhat made up for in the quality of diving and the company. I introduced SWMBO to spearfishing three years ago and she has steadily improved to the point where she is fully autonomous in the water and doesn't need her hand held (even in deep water with lots of current she is more than capable). This year she had three goals - Snapper, Kingfish and a Cray. We managed to tick off two of the three and added Boarfish to the list as well (a typically deep and hard to find fish, little known to line fishos and prized by spearos).

I will add some photos at some point and make this thread worthwhile but words are all you get for now as I smashed my phone yesterday and the bloody insurance company say there is a 10 day turn-around to get it assessed and replaced.

Are there any other spearos on here? I know of a couple but I'm sure there are more lurking around in deep dark corners...
    veitnamcam, Rich007 and stingray like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    Gets a little messy in heaven "
    - Venbee

Saw the pics on Facebook man. Looked like a ripper couple of dives. Everywhere seems to be fishing pretty well, my last few dives have been at some of the most appeared spots in the country and still turned up some ripper results.

Was the boarie round the heads or at the hen? Have only dived the heads area in winter
    Dorkus likes this.

Another spearo here - been spearfishing Wellington / Kapiti for the last 25 years. Due to the terrible summers on the water over the last few years, I found myself hunting more and more.
    Fingers crossed this year is a goodie for in the water action.
    Dorkus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Saw the pics on Facebook man. Looked like a ripper couple of dives. Everywhere seems to be fishing pretty well, my last few dives have been at some of the most appeared spots in the country and still turned up some ripper results.

Was the boarie round the heads or at the hen? Have only dived the heads area in winter
    We shot four in two days between us (two each). Send me a message on FB and I'll show you exactly where if you want - It's not a secret spot but one of those "if you know you know, and if you don't you don't need to" kind of places. It is not hard to find and gets dived a bit, the key is getting the when and how right. Happy to share dive spots with friends and forumites.
    Nick-D and Matt-j like this.
    "I heard Jesus did cocaine on a night out. Eyes wide-open, dialated, but he's fine now. And if his father ever finds out, then he'd probably knock his lights out...
    - Venbee

Weather has been shit down here been a dry December for me

Quote Originally Posted by longrange308 View Post
    Weather has been shit down here been a dry December for me
    What's the Canterbury spearing like? Mainly bugs, slugs and butters I assume?
    - Venbee

Kings are about, mokes and trumpeters also
    Dorkus likes this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Hoping to get out for a dive tomorrow and then finish with a spearing episode. The Son is a keen spearo and his gear makes mine antiquated by some margin. My gun is an old Bazooka. More of a cannon really."
    Dorkus likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Hoping to get out for a dive tomorrow and then finish with a spearing episode. The Son is a keen spearo and his gear makes mine antiquated by some margin. My gun is an old Bazooka. More of a cannon really."
    Cool. Where abouts?

Be a little careful with spearing after SCUBA diving as you will still be off-gassing from your dive. Shouldn't be too much of an issue if you are diving conservatively in both methods but the rule of thumb is to freedive before SCUBA if you have a choice. That way you don't have dissolved gasses in your blood causing problems with all the rapid ups and downs. I used to do it frequently - Go for a cray dive on SCUBA then go spearfishing, worst issue I had was with a massive build up of CO2 causing migraine type headaches. (I'm a shocker for skip breathing on SCUBA and back then didn't have a good handle on freedive recovery time)
    - Venbee

30plus years in the commercial diving industries. Shallow water blackouts from co2 reduction is very real hazard. I have a holiday property in the Coromandel Cooks Beach if you know it.Tommorow hopefully the Mercs.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Beautiful part of the world.

As for being careful I need not preach to the choir.
    Good luck.
    stingray likes this.
    - Venbee

You are correct about the safety margins, and I wish most were as careful as you,sadly this is not so.
    stingray likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Name:  26166998_1592029334177060_4831274718865571823_n.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  94.9 KB
    veitnamcam, Boaraxa and Tommy like this.
    - Venbee

Name:  26231064_1597103863669607_7659432040708990100_n.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  60.7 KB
    veitnamcam, Boaraxa and matto1234 like this.
    - Venbee

Name:  26229821_1597103970336263_8216627534408128_n.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  53.5 KB
    veitnamcam, Boaraxa and matto1234 like this.
    - Venbee