Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Surf casting Manawatu

Surf casting Manawatu

Hey guys, hope this finds you all well.
    Am reasonably new to surf casting and the Manawatu, have purchased a bit of gear and was wondering if anyone has any advice on the best places to go for a salt water cast this time of year. Am based in Palmy.

Cheers in advance for your time
    Tight lines
    You know, if you need 100 rounds to kill a deer, maybe hunting isn't your sport.

Manawatu and Tangimoana river mouths are worth a look. Also if you are prepared for a bit of a drive, Castle point is quite nice.
    bomber likes this.

Akitio about 1.5hr from Palmy tho pretty good as well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    mrs dundee likes this.

Back in the 80s my Dad used to take us kids to fish off the Wanganui ward you used to get some pretty impressive fish off of there good runs of gurnard sometimes too!

Dans maybe the best option is to find your own spot -x .When the sea is rough with a good shore line wave height ,say 2m + .Go for a walk along the beach.
    Look for any breaks in the surf ,they are normally holes & deep area's .Thats where you want to throw your bait.Mark the spot either by land marks or GPS
    if you have one. Having found your hole ,work the tide so its high tide 2 hours after dark or 2 hours before light.A fairly flat sea is best but sure river mouths
    etc are OK but find a hole on a surf beach is a lot better. Hope you find some thing handy to home too much travel makes for expensive fish & fishing.
    I found a hole at Whiritoa a few years ago , I have pulled a shit load of fish out of even since .
    Gun control means using both hands

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Dans maybe the best option is to find your own spot -x .When the sea is rough with a good shore line wave height ,say 2m + .Go for a walk along the beach.
    Look for any breaks in the surf ,they are normally holes & deep area's .Thats where you want to throw your bait.Mark the spot either by land marks or GPS
    if you have one. Having found your hole ,work the tide so its high tide 2 hours after dark or 2 hours before light.A fairly flat sea is best but sure river mouths
    etc are OK but find a hole on a surf beach is a lot better. Hope you find some thing handy to home too much travel makes for expensive fish & fishing.
    I found a hole at Whiritoa a few years ago , I have pulled a shit load of fish out of even since .
    Wont be hard to find....the beach is only 5-600 metres long
    bomber likes this.

Not like Waihi beach 9km long .
    No one else fishes the spot so they may not know the hole exists
    Would ya like the GPS mark mate ?

Not like Waihi beach 9km long .
    No one else fishes the spot so they may not know the hole exists
    Would ya like the GPS mark mate ?
    Nah im good bro, if the offer was directed at me. Im a boat fisherman that doesnt own a boat
    veitnamcam and Boaraxa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Nah im good bro, if the offer was directed at me. Im a boat fisherman that doesnt own a boat
    All good Gibo I'll keep it for me ,jeez you might enjoy fighting fish on a surf rod we can't have that .

All good Gibo I'll keep it for me ,jeez you might enjoy fighting fish on a surf rod we can't have that .
    Surfcasting was me right up until i met my wife, her dad has a boat

+1 on manawatu next bet would be otaki or Te Horo evening / night fishing can be pretty good get a glow stick & tape it on the tip of ur rod.

I should really make another trip over there to have a fish and catch up with ya Chris
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Quote Originally Posted by hunter308 View Post
    I should really make another trip over there to have a fish and catch up with ya Chris
    The other spot-x is firing well Hunter ,my freezer almost full.Good panies to 6 lb mate & ocean run Kahawai to 3kg
    I'm heading that way tomorrow probably. Send a txt when you coming mate.

Lots of guys from Palmy go to Himatangi, Foxton and Waiterere.
    As many do come to Wanganui Rangitikei areas, better fishing too.

Rangitikei - Scotts Ferry (Moana Roa) to Turakina Beach (Koitiata) has miles upon miles of beach with heaps of Pipi/Tuatua beds along the way. You can drive between the two spots with a 4x4 and depending on time of year gates at Sandtoft Forest (Fusilier Wreck) (1/2 way) can be open but no 4x4 access to beach, you need to walk 1/2 a k to beach from carpark.

Wanganui - Access to south beach from Airport rd. 4x4 beach travel down to Wangaehu River. No fishing over the Poo Tube Outfall at Carpark end of south beach, its illegal and there's heaps of beach. Good catches of Lemons, Snapper, Kahawai and Gurnard can be had. Watch the crabs though, good bait. Pipi/Tuatua beds along this stretch too.
    Wildman, Shootm and DanS like this.

So how do you guys find these pipi beds? Just where they are washed up on the beach more and cast out from there?
    Am gonna fish tangi river mouth this wknd. Just a pilchard and a surfcast rig sound about right?