Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hunter308

Thread: Surf casting Matapouri

Surf casting Matapouri

Hi guys, I have the day off tomorrow and up in Whangarei. I was hoping to head to Matapouri to do some surf casting and wondered if anyone has any recommendations for a good spot to try.

What bait works out those ways also?

Cheers
    Brad

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Pillies, squid, bonito and jack mackeral is all I used to use up there. you would also be better off fishing off the rocks straylining
    Last edited by hunter308; 19-04-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I don't think Matapouri would be that great, I think you'd do better popping just over the hill to Wolleys Bay or Sandy Bay.

I could be wrong as I know f*%k all about surfcasting, I've only fished from a boat around there but I would think Matapouri is a bit to much of a bay and not open enough.

Here is a spot I used to rock hop at and is at matapouri bay and I have had some good sized snapper off the rocks there they call it the mermaid pool.

http://nzfrenzynorth.files.wordpress...y-overview.jpg

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Hunter308 is onto it, fish off the rocks, also off the rocks at whale bay should be a winner. I don't really recall seeing many surfcasters around up here except Bream Bay.

only places there is surfcasting up there is like you said bream bay and ocean beach but 90-95% of landbased up there is rock hopping one spot which I will never devulge I spent 15 minutes on a snapper off the rocks until the 24kg trace I was using got bit clean through by it as we were about to land the bloody thing and would have definitely taken out the club comp that weekend. Just be prepared to be whacked in the nuts by your fishing rod butt if you get a good hard hit from a northland snap
    Savage1 likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    walk along the beach at matapouri, to the far bay (not over the hump to pebble bay) and walk though the crack (when you see it - fairly obvious its huge) - stay right, think there is 1 bigger hole to get over and keep going - this will take you the mermaid pools - quite nice actually

Cheers boys. Appreciate it. Will head over and take a look. I'll post results later on

definitely let us know how you get on mate and good luck.

Hi, caught 3 but all too small. Bugger. The shit weather moved in to making it a bit average out there. We ended up going to whale bay off some rocks there. I wanted to go to those other Spots you guys mentioned but I wasn't driving. Next time I will check out the mermaid pool. Cheers boys

That was a bit of a bugger shame the driver didn't want to head over to mermaid pools for a try, never had much luck at whale bay maybe it is the good tucker on hand at the other spot