Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: techniques

techniques

So what is everyone's favourite techniques for catching sea fish?
    Maybe type of fish, general sea state, and pics &/or of rig. Reels and rod details to.....
    Any tips too

oh and spot X GPS coordinates to
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Throw rods away and get in with speargun
    stingray, 300CALMAN and Dorkus like this.

Love fishing lures, hard and soft. Too impatient for bait most of the time.
    stingray likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Love fishing lures, hard and soft. Too impatient for bait most of the time.
    I am too impatient for lures !
    Shearer likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I use rods,nets,longlines,pots to target varing species threwout the whole year......I maybe some kind of saddist but I kinda even like scraping the frost off of the windscreen in the dark to go set a flounder net in the early hours.
    stingray, mikee and Beaker like this.

MB
    I haven't put a bait on a hook for nearly 5 years and the Mrs is sick to death of eating fish. Softies and jigs all the way

Northland snapper/kingfish/trevally/kahawai/john dory.
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBoosh View Post
    the Mrs is sick to death of eating fish.
    You too huh....I give most of mine away and still get complaints.

MB
    The only request I get when I go fishing is don't bring any more bloody fish home! I have agreed to eating fish only 4 nights a week now, so she is happy with that!
    veitnamcam, stingray and Beaker like this.

Worms

Tried dam near every flash harry idea...gone full circle to burley bait and tide. Back to tieing my own rigs and gone basic as. Two hook ledger rig for snapper , single hook for cod! And as @longrange308 said get wet and hunt them!
    I love the sea , every day is differnt ,and completely unforgiving mistress!

The only thing I do now is try everywhere deep , shallow , points and right in the back of bays...VC has taught me a lot and for that I will be for ever greatful!
    Nil durum volenti !!

Tried dam near every flash harry idea...gone full circle to burley bait and tide. Back to tieing my own rigs and gone basic as. Two hook ledger rig for snapper , single hook for cod! And as @longrange308 said get wet and hunt them!
    I love the sea , every day is differnt ,and completely unforgiving mistress!

The only thing I do now is try everywhere deep , shallow , points and right in the back of bays...VC has taught me a lot and for that I will be for ever greatful!
    Nil durum volenti !!

I haven't put a bait on a hook for nearly 5 years and the Mrs is sick to death of eating fish. Softies and jigs all the way

Northland snapper/kingfish/trevally/kahawai/john dory.
    Yep, soft bait and jigs is all I use now, have to carry so much less gear.

I think the thing I like most is that it is active fishing, you can feel what you are doing with the lure when you get the hit and it’s really interactive and I find it more exciting than bait.

Don’t think I will ever go back to bait, would rather head home if nothing biting than try bait!
    Beaker and MB like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

OK, so for this soft bait stuff. What rod, reel and braid are people using or recommend?
    I've only used them once on a charter, bloody good gear (read bloody expensive), but before I get that level, I'd like to get a rod and reel around $300 to give it a bash
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

MB
    As you know Spud, I fish from a jetski (and previously from a kayak). Bait fishing from these small vessels is just not pleasant. As you say, I'd rather not catch than resort to bait, but we're lucky, "not catching" rarely happens in our part of the world. I've done a few head-to-heads with bait fishing buddies and always come out on top. Northland snapper just love those artificials, maybe it's something to do with higher water temperatures? Fishing for 2 hours this morning, 6 legal snapper caught, 4 kept. 5 on microjigs, 1 on softbait.
    Spudattack and Pengy like this.

As you know Spud, I fish from a jetski (and previously from a kayak). Bait fishing from these small vessels is just not pleasant. As you say, I'd rather not catch than resort to bait, but we're lucky, "not catching" rarely happens in our part of the world. I've done a few head-to-heads with bait fishing buddies and always come out on top. Northland snapper just love those artificials, maybe it's something to do with higher water temperatures? Fishing for 2 hours this morning, 6 legal snapper caught, 4 kept. 5 on microjigs, 1 on softbait.
    There is certainly some difference between north and south fish and there preferences, I have given artificials a pretty good bash and the ONLY snapper I have ever caught on one(120grm fanky) was in nearly 100m of water of the top of Durvil island so nearly the north island
    There are a few people down here who use them exclusively but very few indeed.
    Here at least I find anything be it jig soft bait or just a bit of rag will catch a blue cod or kahawai when they are on the bite,gurnard also like softys and slow jigs, barracuda will take anything you throw at them but I have not heard of anyone out-catching bait yet unless chasing kings.
    Im looking forward to next weekend and maybe @Shearer will show us southys how good the artificial are.
    stingray and Beaker like this.