Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Trout: Lake Pupuke

Trout: Lake Pupuke

Anyone able to give me advice on fishing Lake Pupuke? I'm keen to give it a go.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Ring Auckland Council
    Yeah, I know, writing the question and sellotaping it to a lame tortoise to deliver would be quicker.
    I have seen people fishing down there, no idea if they were legal or not.
    Ranger 888 likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

MB
    I've dived in it, but not fished there. It's deep. Shoreline access is limited and very weedy around the edges. Getting afloat one way or another would be beneficial. A kayak would be ideal. Motorboats not allowed.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    It will be covered by Fish and Game if it has trout in it so look it up online.
    Ranger 888 likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

My mate used to catch trout using worms in there as a schoolboy. Mind you he also used to shoot gulls on the lakeshore with a shotgun at Guy Fawkes time, so not the best example of sound decision making. A kayak would be the go, launch from the North side of the lake rather than the pumphouse.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Iv'e dived it and yes it's deep! and apparently there are trout but I have only ever caught horrible coarse fish there. Best drive a couple of hours south and try the Waikato.

Give it a go and let us know.

This guy is fishing by the rowing club. Small trout but bloody hell! 20000000 x more than I have pulled out of the lake.

Cheers for that!

Trout by the rowing club and Tench by the lagoon next to the nearby carpark. . Behind the hospital by the jetty, you can try for either Trout and Perch and there are carp around too if that tickles your fancy. Perch by the theatre on the opposite side. I don't discriminate fish species and catch all of them.

Bait (worms and bread) obviously works and lures such as the Rapalas and soft rubbers work very well for me. I have taken trout from there once when I started fishing there and the meat was whitish rather than pink which probably indicates hatchery spawns. Tasted flat to be honest. And you will need to have a current fishing license for that area.
    Ranger 888 likes this.

Holy thread revival.

berkley soft bait didn't work for me at the pumphouse wharf but i might not have ben jigging it correctly.

corn and jello which was promised as dynamite on carp even if plonked in their face doesn't get any bites.

however fish and game said carp can be spear fished with extreme prejudice.

haven't tried spinners yet. I do have a kayak to use on the lake though.

MB
    I've heard F&G aren't stocking Lake Pupuke with trout any more, but a lake nearby, best to check!

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I've heard F&G aren't stocking Lake Pupuke with trout any more, but a lake nearby, best to check!
    there are no other lakes nearby. the only other lakes in auckland are at wellsford. south head kaipara and dune lakes at bethells/kariotahi. All of them are ages away.

still might try them though.

MB
    From Facebook (I'm not sure of the validity):

Pupuke hasn't been stocked for a few years now, it has a dead zone of oxygen in it apparently that the trout just die from. They stock the quarry lake next to it now. Only ever caught one on softbait there, the rest I caught on corn or fake corn.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    From Facebook (I'm not sure of the validity):

Pupuke hasn't been stocked for a few years now, it has a dead zone of oxygen in it apparently that the trout just die from. They stock the quarry lake next to it now. Only ever caught one on softbait there, the rest I caught on corn or fake corn.
    interesting. My friend has done a free dive course there. There is the duck poo soup layer, A layer of silt and then a layer of crystal clear and pitch black water. Not sure anything can liver under there as there wouldn't be any sunlight.

The quarry lake has at least one massive carp but my sweetcorn/jelly mix didn't work. it is murky and muddy water. Only ever seen baby rudd i think and one massive carp in it.

As a lad, I've caught: Rudd, Carp, Perch, Tench, Goldfish (as distinct from wild carp), Rainbow Trout (released ones), Eels and I've seen Koi, Cockabully and Gambusia. In both the quarry and the lake.
    Russian 22. likes this.