Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By leathel

Thread: West coast bash for the long weekend

West coast bash for the long weekend

I had tried to get out on the coast over the holiday break but timing just didn’t work out so with easterlies on the weather forecast it was looking good swell wise but the wind forecast varied so much it was frustrating on the days leading up to the weekend, The plan was hatched to hit the river at low tide 7am (not enough water earlier) and beat the wind on Saturday morning….. Well someone set the alarm early for the wind, Launched at the port store (second boat in so still parking available) and popped out to look at the bar.. All good so Michael and I crossed but with stiff off shore winds we were not going to be going far out, there was no flat water so we anchored up on some sign at 10 meters deep and started to pull in fish… not to comfortable with tide and wind leading us to the odd snap on the anchor rope but the boy was happy as we were still pulling in fish.
    After an hour of the choppy shitty conditions I decided it was time to head in as we had a good feed, Plenty of day left to tidy up the gear and then get ready for a Mad party, So back through the bar… well the flat opening and in the river, Michael wanted to eat something so we anchored up set the lines and had a graze ourselves and pulled in a Trev.. then packed up and home james. Messy conditions at the ramp but we managed to sort the boat on the trailer ..

Sunday Family gathering…who plans one in the middle of a long weekend…especially with easterlies blowing :-/

Monday and the winds are down so we were off, Normie joining the crew this time, a little early as the ramp has a hole to avoid….. and I had until the ute slid down the ramp with the wheels locked up…..Oh well still managed to get the boat off and the ute out (4x4) and we were off (first boat so plenty of parking again) the Bar was flat again and conditions couldn’t be much better but I decided to try the fish in close again… Not likely to get monsters and the average size will be down… but so will the fuel bill
    Dropped the pick at spot X and not long after we started to pull in fish… nothing big and with a couple in the bin I had a average bite… pulled it in and about half way up it pulled a bit of line.. up the drag to strike and the fish did a couple of loops under the boat…Called it a kahawai.. Oh well we got none Saturday so that’s cool…. Until I saw colour
    Huge snapper 8-) Normie was quick with the net and after a couple of loops the fish was in the boat … the hook hadn't even set with it falling out when I went to remove it... Lucky I managed to keep the tension on

This was easily my best fish and with no scales on the boat he was destined for the smoker… only a couple of fish had made the fish bin so they were removed to let this sit on the bottom and the tail rolled up the end… the Ice and other fish back in. With a feed in the bin the min size going in the bin was lifted to 330 and on we went, Michael caught his first hammer head shark

and a few school sharks along with snaps, Kawai, good sized Mackerel and Gurnard, Normie was pulling in fish as well but finding the non re-curve hooks didn’t always hook the side of the mouth like our flashers so had fun unhooking fish.

After a while we had used the mullet up so I put a hook in the head and biffed it out on the Avet beast, Set the drag to bait with the clicker on… with no weight expecting to land a shark…. But it actually made the bottom which was a surprise as we had seen several sharks around the boat… after a while line started to peel out with the clicker going nuts… waited until it stoped then on the second run set the hook and off it steamed…. Only to find the hook wasn’t set and the bait spat… Pulled it in and checked the hook and re cast it out and it reached the bottom again… and agai the line started to disappear, waited and set the hook n the second run… felt it pull but weight still on, half way up I called it a shark… then a foul hooked fish as it just didn’t feel right, heavy weight but strait runs without the big head shakes… as it got to the boat I could see why, hook was in the side on the fish about 2/3rds down, another good snap too.
    Netted photos taken

over the side to revive, first release and it keeled over, grabbed it and more water through the gills and release again and it started to swim down….it got quite deep then flopped on it side and floated up….just in reach of the net. So in the bin he went and with the bin full it was time to pack up and go home… not even high tide yet… Great day on the water

Some pics from the house

Second biggest fish on top

The dog patiently waiting for the fish to be filleted… She loves the scraps

Toby likes this.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Holy shit those are big, the size of the kid! Haha all of the smaller snapper might make up one of those big guys, congrats
    VIVA LA HOWA

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Good times Leathel. Well done. I hope you painted an X on the water so you can find the spot again.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Good times Leathel. Well done. I hope you painted an X on the water so you can find the spot again.
    GPS was on so I must download the trail to my computer and make waypoints and a coarse through the bar as while it was flat I check the depths through it
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Bloody good stuff Leathel! Those two snappers are beauties!
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Re: West coast bash for the long weekend

Nice couple of days fishing there. Well done.
    The boy would have been rapt

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.