Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By southernman
  • 4 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Tikka7mm08

Thread: What size HP outboard do I need?

What size HP outboard do I need?

Hi - I have a Takacat 3m inflatable (pontoon). It weighs about 32kg. I would like to have 2-3 free divers on board so say 300kg (probably only 2)? I'd love a little DF2.5 but any idea what size I need to run to get around at an ok pace (not flying off waves but not getting pushed backwards in a 5knot current/wind)??

Most boats have a max HP rating chart, should be something under boat specs, I would not put the miminum spec, outboard on any boat, you need to have enough grunt (hp) to get up on plane, if the outboard is too small, it may not be able to do so, and you will have a displacement hull, and thus slower with higher fuel consumption. a little bit more than minimum, has a bit of a safety advantage, allowing you to push against an strong outgoing current, or if coming in over a bar to maintain a speed, and come in sitting on the back of a wave,
    I am going to guess at 5-6hp or so, as its only a 10 foot hull, would be good.

Cheers for that...yes max is 9HP from memory...problem is this is a pack it in the bag boat so looking for an outboard that can be picked up and carried...they really jump up in weight from 5hp or so. Seems just have to live with it.

ok, I didn't realize that, but makes sense now, why you were looking at a 2.5 hp, I likely go with mid of the range, 5 or so, two stroke will be lighter than a four, but they are getting closer in weight every year,
    A little electric may also work quite well, I have a 55lb thrust minkota on my old boat in Canada, a 17 foot lund, with a 115hp out board, and it pulls at along (Bow mount) at a very good clip. 10-15 km hr at a guess. runs for hours on a car battery.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Geeze you need my 8 HP johnson
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Iv got a little 5hp merc
    we went with that because it is the largest you can go with the incorperated tank in the top
    pushes my mac 270 ok but dosent plane
    planes the heck out of a 10footer

Thanks Bill - yep it would be handy to have the tank on top of the motor, easy to have fuel cans to top up. I think 5HP is about tops for this set up.

I think your gonna be 3 short
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

LOL - I see I can go to a 6HP 4 stroke at 26/27kg with the integrated tank...that should be plenty.
    Maca49 likes this.

Suzuki 6hp 4 Stroke Outboard. | Trade Me

What I need - great internal capacity at 1.5L vs 1.1L for others, and I think it is a better gear ratio at 1:under 2 others 1ver 2...??
    Now to find it for a $1000 cheaper.

That face in the word "over" is a typo but I like it so much I am not going to edit it out.