Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By Corn Beeph

Thread: Where can I have a crack at some trout fishing an hour or two drive from Auckland?

Where can I have a crack at some trout fishing an hour or two drive from Auckland?

Hey guys,
    I haven't done any trout fishing since I was a kid, but I'd be keen to give it another go. Over Christmas if I could go out and camp for a couple of nights and just fish for a few days it'd be choice... but I have no idea where to go.

Haven't got any kit yet, but I'll sort out a rod and some flys. My salt water rods probably wont do me much good

Banned
    if you have a light salt water rig you can spin with it mate.

awakino river between te kuite and awakino. ok access nice river good pools. just pull off on the side of the road. bit more than two hours tho but a good drive. trout are mainly rainbows not huge but good for a munch. or you could head up past rushys place and fish the lakes at south head.

Lake Ototoa(?) up top of south head, as trout in it, easy day trips.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Mclarens lake tauranga good fishn and camp ground, good walks and supply for hydro station means plenty to look at

Head to Rotorua and go to the Haumarana stream mouth and fish the cold water flow in the lake the trick there is get on edge of cold water flow (stand in the warm water) and cast across the flow of cold water just do not fish upstream of the Haumarana bridge as it is closed water above the bridge, was using red and green and blue and white toby spinners there and worked real well. IF you can get some fly fishing gear the Awahou stream mouth and Ohau channel is even better.
    Maca49 likes this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

If your allowed spinners, Rapala brown trout cd5 sinking and black and gold Tobys. my 2 top favorites.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. Got a few good options here. I get a few weeks off over Christmas this year so I'll start knocking together a plan to spend a few days at least down somewhere doing some fishing.

South head isn't far, I know where awakino is (haven't looked it up but I assume it's the river running through the gorge?), rotorua is still within what I'd be happy to drive for a weekend.

Gotta do a bit of reading up as it's been a long time since I've done any trout fishing. Take my gear, a bit of food, sleep in the back of the hilux.

I see I'll have to purchase a license for it. $120. Stink, but gotta do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
    Lake Ototoa(?) up top of south head, as trout in it, easy day trips.
    Hmm, this seems to suggest there wont be anything in there.
    Lake Ototoa fishing-Lake Ototoa trout fishing-nzfishing

I might pop out here to have a look guys Wairoa River fishing-Wairoa River trout fishing-nzfishing. It's pretty much local for me, I'm real close to the hunuas.

Plenty of trout down this way ,not often I see any one else fishing. 3 rivers to choose from,no problem to get a limit bag.What ever you used in past probably still work fine now .
    Gun control means using both hands

11 years Late but how was it mate, am new here and listening out to as many outdoor experiences as i can possibly leanr from
    coldsteel likes this.