Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree30Likes
  • 4 Post By oraki
  • 2 Post By Maca49
  • 7 Post By Scout
  • 1 Post By BruceY
  • 2 Post By Pengy
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Nick-D
  • 6 Post By oraki
  • 1 Post By stingray
  • 3 Post By stingray

Thread: Whitebait...How Much Do Ya Need.

Whitebait...How Much Do Ya Need.

Name:  BBEAA2D0-BC4B-47DF-899D-63F5CD9C6B61.jpeg
Views: 292
Size:  681.1 KB

So with the apparent decline in the fishery, how much do you really need.
    What happened to limit your catch, not catch your limit... not that there is one, but still.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

I need heaps, haven’t been out yet!!
    zimmer and Steve123 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Yes I find this amazing as Whitebait can be made up of rare galaxias & if we killed/caught them as adults we would be in trouble, we also can't sell fish we catch in the Ocean with out the required permits & no fresh water fish at all, yet we can sell a rare/endangered fresh water fish ??
    Cowboy, Pengy, res and 4 others like this.

At a price of $10/100g that i have seen....

sneakywaza I got
    Thank fuck I don't even like the stuff!

Stop drinking the Twig and Tweet kool aid, Decline? based on what? catch records? As a white middle aged male I'm more in danger of going extinct than whitebait. Looks a lot like sour grapes to me and is the reason why really good catches are seldom posted. I have not beaten that catch in a day this year but have in the past.
    Last edited by Got-ya; 13-10-2020 at 09:05 PM.

I have been whitebaiting for 60 years...in my NON-scientific opinion, they are no more or less running than when I started....some years good, some years great and some years PISS_POOR...and among my friends that is the concensus
    Got-ya likes this.

313 lb is not for personal consumption, obviously. Therefore being done for profit, unless giving it away, which is highly unlikely
    Steve123 and Bos like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

maybe the bait numbers are the same...maybe there are more fishers,and maybe they are catching more as they can freeze it.... havent heard of surplus being dug into garden for a year or 50....
    res likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    Stop drinking the Twig and Tweet kool aid, Decline? based on what? catch records? As a white middle aged male I'm more in danger of going extinct than whitebait. Looks a lot like sour grapes to me and is the reason why really good catches are seldom posted. I have not beaten that catch in a day this year but have in the past.
    Limited surveys and yes catch records. Science isn't as robust as it could be but it does show decline. Its rediculous to not have any control or regulation of the commercial use of the stock.

There are several species, one could be going extinct and we'd never know. It's at the very least worth getting better science
    Tahr, Cowboy and sore head stoat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Got-ya View Post
    No sour grapes here. Don’t even really like the stuff, but there’s getting a feed, and greed.
    As for selling it, how much is declared do ya think.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Gone but not forgotten
    A guy I used to work with told me how when he was a kid he got sent down to the river after school to catch whitebait to feed the chooks!

Another fella used to catch all he could, and had some big catches, but the closest he came to selling any was raffling off some for a local community fundraiser. He either ate it or gave it away.

I love a feed , others want sell it just like talleys , sealord , Sanford , guards sell fish they never paid for ..watch the video “the price of fish” ....if you can make money out of it kiwis will...ask the heli companies that culled the Thar ,drop 1080 ..plant pines agricultural land ,.tax payers dollars culling taxpayers game, paying to poison our national parks , pay for carbon credits whilst we import coal from Indonesia, to fuel our electrical power plants to power electric cars !

How much whitebait ...2lb . This is the exact amount my kids and myself caught in a okiwi bay creek ...ma beat egg whites into a flurry and we mixed it with the bait and fried patties like never before or again...times long gone ..but never forgotten.
    MB likes this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Final thought for the day ...election year ..Auckland out of water ..not one question about Chinese bottling plants taking NZ water over seas..in the hundred thousands of litres...save water Auckland whist your council sells it overseas ...follow the money folks
    Micky Duck, MB and 223nut like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!