Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Bed Bugs Stewart Island

Bed Bugs Stewart Island

All huts have been closed due to bed bugs.
    Workmates mum was supposed to be doing 1 of the big walks there next week but DoC informed them that all huts have been closed and they will need to use tents if they want to continue with their tramp.

Looking at past history, bed bugs have been quite a problem that they are having trouble eradicating.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Is that the rakiura track or all the huts...? Yeah it's been an issue the last year or two. Accommodation places on the island are having to make people keep packs and gear outside to try keep their rooms bug free, bloody expensive to decontaminate on the island

Nightmare to get rid of even in a house.
    Endless bombs and spraying and f**kers still survive for years inside furniture and framing of houses.
    Welcome to Sako club.

@cambo any idea when this was? Hasn't happened recently from what I have heard... Maybe last summer?

Pretty sure they had to rip the entire lining out of at least 1 hut and redo the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    @cambo any idea when this was? Hasn't happened recently from what I have heard... Maybe last summer?

Pretty sure they had to rip the entire lining out of at least 1 hut and redo the whole thing
    They were supposed to be heading there this week but DoC contacted them last week to say the huts were closed and they'd need to stay in tents if they wanted to go

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    They were supposed to be heading there this week but DoC contacted them last week to say the huts were closed and they'd need to stay in tents if they wanted to go
    Interesting... I just talked with a doc staff member on the island and they knew nothing about it (and they are in a department that would know)

Interesting... I just talked with a doc staff member on the island and they knew nothing about it (and they are in a department that would know)
    Weird.
    She was looking forward to the trip with the group she was going with. All canceled their trip over this.

@cambo & @223nut ; After the Lock Downs we are in contact with DOC for info on getting back into our usual couple of times yearly self boat trips into Stewart Island & FL hunts & Dives . DOC is supposed to be doing daily checks & cleaning on what were the problem re- infestation huts which from memory there was 3 bad ones where they were giving people option to cancel & get preference rebook or camp .

There have been no Bed Bug reports as at mid Feb at North Arm , Port William Hut,either of the Rakiura Great Walk Huts
    They are also having trouble with Bed Bug re- infestation in FL on the Kepler & are currently treating all huts on the Kepler Track every 4- 6 weeks , also on going problems at Luxmore , Iris Burn and Moturau Huts in FL all these are supposed to be getting daily cleaning & inspection by DOC .

Of note today they notified they have had their first confirmed Chyna Flu case staying in the Fiordland huts/walk , infected were on Kepler track from 25–28 February, staying at Luxmore, Iris Burn and Moturau huts on the 25, 26 and 27 February respectively. Mate was told they will be having a crack down on proof of vaccination at all DOC sites ,including spot checks ,so l would say those in the Wap Ballot will be stuffed without proof.

Off the record mate was told they are looking at option of allowing multiple camps on SI like the Wap Ballot & close huts for a couple of months while they give HD treatment to try to eradicate ,as now they are more or less saying you have a good chance of Bed Bugs in the huts .Which of course means it is a self licking ice cream & bad news for SI residents as they are of course spreading through all facilities used by visitors.

@223nut sorry have not had time to get back to you ,only just got back from hunting trip & flat out .l will try to PM you tonight with the info ,while l am waiting on a call from a mate in US
    Last edited by bunji; 01-03-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Can someone describe the mattresses at the huts, any Doc hut I have stayed in had vinyl covered mattresses. A quick knapsack spray round in the hut with malathion and a plastic bag over a cloth covered mattress would sort it

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Shades of the seventeenth century. Sleep tight and don’t let the bed bugs bite.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

@Moa Hunter they will be the standard ones you describe that are fire resistant. From 2nd hand accounts the bugs were at a level of dead bodies piling up in the corners of bunk frames and under mattresses etc. Needed a deep clean
    Micky Duck likes this.

Brother in law is currently on his way there now, hope hes got a tent....told me he was staying in a tent

@Moa Hunter they will be the standard ones you describe that are fire resistant. From 2nd hand accounts the bugs were at a level of dead bodies piling up in the corners of bunk frames and under mattresses etc. Needed a deep clean
    @Moa Hunter Yep as @223nut said & also the problem had been let get to a point where they were in behind the cladding ,due to all the gaps & cracks & were quite happy there ,so a simple spray or Bomb as they initially did was not reaching the real problem areas ,so a couple of weeks later they were back better than ever .They had to pull the cladding off some of the huts to reach them & it was like a horror movie & the poor buggers doing it had real & imaginary itches for weeks after.

I read the message they sent my mate today & they are basically saying they are a fact of life in the huts now ,due to the varied visitors staying in them ,so has there been a big out break of Bed Bugs in Kiwi towns & cities now, from over the Lock Downs ??
    Moa Hunter likes this.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @Moa Hunter Yep as @223nut said & also the problem had been let get to a point where they were in behind the cladding ,due to all the gaps & cracks & were quite happy there ,so a simple spray or Bomb as they initially did was not reaching the real problem areas ,so a couple of weeks later they were back better than ever .They had to pull the cladding off some of the huts to reach them & it was like a horror movie & the poor buggers doing it had real & imaginary itches for weeks after.

I read the message they sent my mate today & they are basically saying they are a fact of life in the huts now ,due to the varied visitors staying in them ,so has there been a big out break of Bed Bugs in Kiwi towns & cities now, from over the Lock Downs ??
    Well at least the unvaxed cant get blamed for that one as they are excluded from Doc huts
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Well at least the unvaxed cant get blamed for that one as they are excluded from Doc huts
    It will be interesting to see how much it all costs, as the gutting of the huts would be a fortune, plus on going treatment for around a year now & then the staff are supposed to be doing daily thorough cleans & inspections .

Would not be surprised if costs are not recouped down the track from all users & the poor old locals must be feeling like sitting ducks . I do not really bother with listening to our pathetic local news services ,but have heard nothing of a plaque of Bed Bugs in the towns etc ,over Lock downs .
    Last edited by bunji; 02-03-2022 at 10:04 PM.