Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

topo app for Android

Hey all I don't have data plan for my phone just use WiFi on the home broardband connection. So was wondering if anyone knows of a decent topographic app for Android that doesn't need a connection when I'm away hunting

Cheers
    Matt

I think you can use backcountry navigator off line. You need to save the areas you want to use first though. Not sure how reliable it is though.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Yip, backcountry navigator is good for that. There are other options too but I haven't used them to comment.

You can get a Topographical map/GPS app called Topo Map NZ for your android phone from the app store.
    It's about $10 and will give you a maps of the whole country down to a 1:50,000 scale.

Two tricks to using it:
    One - Preload the map of the area you intend to go hunting in while you still have internet access (i.e. at home with wifi) otherwise you won't be able to see the map just your co-ords.
    When you have viewed the map of an area once your phone should store it, so you should only have to do it once for each new area.

Two - While in the bush turn on flight mode, you will lose the ability to call but your phone's GPS will still work and your phone's battery will last heaps longer.

Thanks blue arrow.... don't get service in there anyhow.....usually just turn the phone off and use for camera wen I wanna take one... don't even really use maps much anyhow cause I mostly hunt in the open country ....just be nice to have a nosey at areas we intend to hunt next day or wateva. And to navigate tracks/roads to huts etc

Thanks also gravelben and pengy might give it a whirl

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Arrow View Post
    You can get a Topographical map/GPS app called Topo Map NZ for your android phone from the app store.
    It's about $10 and will give you a maps of the whole country down to a 1:50,000 scale.

Two tricks to using it:
    One - Preload the map of the area you intend to go hunting in while you still have internet access (i.e. at home with wifi) otherwise you won't be able to see the map just your co-ords.
    When you have viewed the map of an area once your phone should store it, so you should only have to do it once for each new area.

Two - While in the bush turn on flight mode, you will lose the ability to call but your phone's GPS will still work and your phone's battery will last heaps longer.
    +1

I use this and downloaded the entire South Island (and a bit of the off shore island) using wifi. Pretty much haven't used the Garmin since.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I use Oruxmaps, mainly cause it can work with Garmin mapping which I happened across

Can save and export your tracks as KML files to see on Goggle Earth

Be warned though it can be a bit slow to load if your phone has bugger all or low memory.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.