Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By XR500
  • 2 Post By Nugget connaisseur

Thread: Wanganui canoe trip

Wanganui canoe trip

Hey team,

I have a wanganui trip planned with the boys next feb. I was wondering if anyone could give us an indication of the best way to paddle the river and best places to stay? I have an idea but just interested to hear different approaches.

Cheers Bryan

Start at Pipiriki and float down, many year ago, did it in a jet boat and hunt the bank, drifting around the corners. Guess that would be off the menu in this PC times
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

talk to the pros in Taumarunui......they hire out boats to do it.....not suggesting you abuse it by picking brains and giving nothing back,but call in and ask,buy something if you not intending to use thier boats...these folks have been doing it for years and guarantee,if you get in the shit,it will be them who come and get you out.
    Steve123 likes this.

The 'Jurasic Park' feeling bit is from about 20km downstream of Taumaranui, through to Pipiriki. Taumaranui itself down is pretty boring for day 1, as its just farmland, and in Feb will be VERY bony.

Depends how much time you have on your hands.

Take long ropes. Often a solid tie up point for your boat can be a long way from the river bank. And if it pisses down overnight it can easly come up 25 foot in 12 hours. Short rope will simply drown the boat.

Normally lots of goats. Fallow should have risen in numbers too.
    rugerman and Micky Duck like this.

Cheers team,

I probably should have explained a bit better. We are going through a canoe company for it. The question was more around which campsites to stay at and things to look out for good or bad like XR500 advice.

I did the whole thing from Taumuranui to whanganui last year.

Taumuranui canoe hire is the one you want. They sort everything, campsites etc. The 3 day from Whakahoro to Pipiriki is probably the best bang for buck and covers the most interesting sections as mentioned above.
    https://taumarunuicanoehire.co.nz/prices/

Give them a call. Its owned by a lovely family and they get this question alot.
    7mmwsm and rugerman like this.