Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: What’s still in that hut?

What’s still in that hut?

Just wondering what people still expect to be in a hut the second time they go back?
    So you go to a back country hut either fly in or walk in (exclude drive to it they probably have the most stuff left in them)
    And lets say there’s a pot maybe a pan some cooking utensils even a portable gas cooker, do you expect that to still be there next time or plan as if it’s all gone?
    Not the most used things like toilet paper, gas canisters, bit of oil and salt, and the big one firewood. They all come and go and I don’t expect that stuff to be there. It’s those other handy things that I think to myself they were in the hut last time they are bound to still be there. Yet I still tend to take my own incase it’s all gone. So what’s still in your doc hut that you have stopped taking and expect it to still be there?

MB
    Prepare to be self sufficient. I actually hate it when people leave their shit in huts. I don't think their trying to be helpful to others most of the time, just too damn lazy to carry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Prepare to be self sufficient. I actually hate it when people leave their shit in huts. I don't think their trying to be helpful to others most of the time, just too damn lazy to carry it out.
    Exactly

I'm a paid DoC hut manager
    8 scheduled visits per year to drop off firewood and do a full service
    It's a 9 bunk bookings only hut that sleeps 11 comfortably
    Relatively easy access so a bit of stuff gets left behind all of the time
    Mostly empty gas canisters
    Empty wine bottles with candles in the neck
    Unused T light candles because there is solar lighting
    Pots with no lids
    Spare plastic plates and cutlery
    The odd headlight on a hook if I service the day it was left

We leave a decent kettle for the pot belly stove and that is it

I take away anything else including any food
    Even canned and jars etc because otherwise everyone would do it rather than carry it out

Just take what you need and if there is a decent kettle and fry pan that's a bonus
    tetawa, rugerman, Matt2308 and 8 others like this.

way back when I was single man,I would visit the pinnacles hut about once a month...usually there were 3-4 billies more plates n cutlery than your normal house and a few cups..... but after a DOC visit there would be little left. half dozen plates a couple of cups and a couple of pots is normal...one thing that pissed me off no end.I carried a set of steel cap gumboots cut down to shoes,#10 up there to use with the hut axe....not a place to slice toes...and they got taken away too....
    havent revisited hut for 10 years or more now. might just head up late may for grins n giggles. normally have place you myself if its mid winter,may should be ok.
    Mr300WSM likes this.

I stayed at a hut that had a cut down pair of gumboots thought they were the best idea ever just for putting on to go outside to toilet or get firewood. Possibly one of the most useful things I’ve used

Just got back from a trip with Dad, 3 huts you can drive the boat right to.
    The "hunters hut" plenty of dry cut firewood, some chocolates and a couple of osm bars ,a plate and a coffee mug (which was handy cos dad forgot the cups) and some candles.
    Always used to be a billy and a frypan in there but they must have been removed when doc tidyed the hut up (it needed it) and fucked it up by making it into communal bunks so no privacey or storage and boarded off all the storage shelves under the benches so everyones shit has to go all round the floor in the cooking area wtf!
    Went over to the "trampers hut" one bent fry pan nothing else.
    Next day was going past the trampers hut.....damesel in distress waving from shore.
    Went to see what the go was,she had come up in the water taxi planning to go tramping got there and discovered she had left all her food in the car.
    We gave her all our smoko snacks had a yarn then dropped her round the beach a bit where she could have a nice walk back to the hut.
    While she was walking back we shot back to our hut grabbed a cup noodles, backcountry double serve,bag of chips and some cheese and I left them on the bench at that hut for her return.

I think every hut should have a servicable billy and frypan.....but most dont.

I also think every hut should have some non perishable vermin proof food......we left a tin of pears.

No hut needs 4/5ths empty gas canisters tho especially if it has a fire.
    rugerman, GWH, BRADS and 6 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

your a good fella doing that for the lass Cam.....may good karma come your way.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    your a good fella doing that for the lass Cam.....may good karma come your way.
    Its what anyone who was able to would have done Id like to think Micky.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Your a good man cam. We flew into a hut one time it would have had 20 quarter full or less gas canisters and maybe another 10 half full ones we used all the ones with the least amount of gas and took the cans out and left a few of the fuller ones there. I understand the want to be helpful thing but it’s also about keeping it tidy
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Iv always thought leaving some non perishables that you don't eat behind as they could be used by someone who is in a life or death situation and won't attract rodents. As for gas cans and grog bottles those are only made for the person who brought them in with them so take the out with you. Also replace any wood you burn.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

Hi team.

Four of us flew into price basin hut for the week last week. no Billy, but 2 fry pans and 4 pots with lids. Various utensils, and some kind folks left some tinned good, gas cans in the cupboard, as well as some "bikini mags". Much appreciated by 4 lads stuck inside with the weather. It made the hut feel appreciated, we took 2 empty gas cans out and left a full one. We even left a small bottle of tequila for anyone who may enjoy the god awful stuff. I can understand some huts may get full with crap, but I can surely see the benefit of a few favored items for communal use. I hope we all try to leave huts in as good or better state than we find them I guess. Pity someone decided to shoot a swag of thar out of the area, found a "pile' of decomposing nannies at the head of the valley, plenty of bulls around, but they stuck in the scrub till almost dark.

I guess we have yo tolerate the dickheads, and do our best to leave huts as we would like to find them.

Thanks Lars

There’s a cool little cartridge collection at the Whymper Hut (assuming DOC hast removed it) I added a 375 HnH
    There was also a full 18 pack of brown bombers up there last time I was there. We made sure to remove the contents and take the empty cans out with us
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrygoat View Post
    Hi team.

Four of us flew into price basin hut for the week last week. no Billy, but 2 fry pans and 4 pots with lids. Various utensils, and some kind folks left some tinned good, gas cans in the cupboard, as well as some "bikini mags". Much appreciated by 4 lads stuck inside with the weather. It made the hut feel appreciated, we took 2 empty gas cans out and left a full one. We even left a small bottle of tequila for anyone who may enjoy the god awful stuff. I can understand some huts may get full with crap, but I can surely see the benefit of a few favored items for communal use. I hope we all try to leave huts in as good or better state than we find them I guess. Pity someone decided to shoot a swag of thar out of the area, found a "pile' of decomposing nannies at the head of the valley, plenty of bulls around, but they stuck in the scrub till almost dark.

I guess we have yo tolerate the dickheads, and do our best to leave huts as we would like to find them.

Thanks Lars
    theres no way in hell im drinking anything I find in a hut
    theres far too many people who think its funny to piss in a bottle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3-WdHTAdIs
    piwakawaka likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Walked into a hut a while back with a forum member ended up carrying a big black rubbish bag full of rubbish out.
    Took 2 hours to clean and full woodshed before it looked even partly habitable.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

On my first trip into Smith's Stream Hut in the Ruahines, I could have filled a black rubbish sack with rat crap - it had been some time since anyone was in there previously, and plenty of perishables had been left at the hut. Spent the night sleeping on the floor with my pack hanging from the ceiling and listening to rats throughout the hut - couldn't get out the door early enough (even with shithouse weather....)
    Didn't feel like packing out a sack full of ratshit, so swept it out the door and then used it to create a new porch.....