Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By quentin
  • 1 Post By quentin
  • 3 Post By Gibo

Thread: Aluminium pillar bedding vs fibreglass bedding?

Aluminium pillar bedding vs fibreglass bedding?

What are the pros and cons of each and what do you guys prefer? I know some stocks come out with the aluminium these days, but always wanted to know the pros and cons

(Edit-Aluminium block bedding not pillar, was just watching some pillar bedding videos and messed the title up)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TianBotha; 05-06-2017 at 11:49 AM.

Alloy bedding block (V - block) has the advantage of just dropping the action in, torquing the action screws, and you are set. Drop another action in, and you do not need to re-do anything to get it shooting well.
    Where your stock does not provide a alloy bedding block, then pillars and glass bedding do the same job.
    I have an alloy chassis with a V-block for holding the action, and it's great for the range gun, but too heavy for a hunting rifle. My hunting rifle is a carbon stock with glass bedding - much lighter, with excellent accuracy too.
    TianBotha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    Alloy bedding block (V - block) has the advantage of just dropping the action in, torquing the action screws, and you are set. Drop another action in, and you do not need to re-do anything to get it shooting well.
    Where your stock does not provide a alloy bedding block, then pillars and glass bedding do the same job.
    I have an alloy chassis with a V-block for holding the action, and it's great for the range gun, but too heavy for a hunting rifle. My hunting rifle is a carbon stock with glass bedding - much lighter, with excellent accuracy too.
    Where did you get the carbon stock and how do you like it? I've been on the hunt for one! They look great!

Carbon stock is from stug here on the forum. Very well priced. SG Gunstocks - Carbon Fibre Stocks - Home
    I've only had it since Saturday morning, but thus far it is proving very good. Light, and does not drum like the standard Tikka stock. Slight improvement in accuracy with the existing loads. Will be interesting to see if a new load development will squeeze a little bit more accuracy.
    TianBotha likes this.

Fulla
    So they say... Iv never had luck with this.
    The actions have been dropped in both were ok. Let's say half to three quarter moa. One I didn't bother bedding, but the other did benefit, and came down to about quarter moa.
    Maybe it's how fussy you are, my expectation is quarter moa of less.
    I bed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by bully View Post
    So they say... Iv never had luck with this.
    The actions have been dropped in both were ok. Let's say half to three quarter moa. One I didn't bother bedding, but the other did benefit, and came down to about quarter moa.
    Maybe it's how fussy you are, my expectation is quarter moa of less.
    I bed everything.
    What a slapper

Carbon stock is from stug here on the forum. Very well priced. SG Gunstocks - Carbon Fibre Stocks - Home
    I've only had it since Saturday morning, but thus far it is proving very good. Light, and does not drum like the standard Tikka stock. Slight improvement in accuracy with the existing loads. Will be interesting to see if a new load development will squeeze a little bit more accuracy.
    Damn they are nice, do you know what the weight difference is between the standard (600g) on and the tactical? I like the idea of a adjustable cheek rest

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What a slapper
    A hole is the goal.