Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Message and thread content disappears from reply... sometimes

This one has me stumped.
    When replying to posts in a thread and some PM's, sometimes the replied to content won't show up quoted in my reply... but sometimes it will.

I've found two separate times this happens.

1) In threads if I choose "Reply with quote" the initial quick reply window shows the content I'm replying to surrounded by the [ QUOTE ] bbcode. However if I then click "Go Advanced".... the quoted text and any of my new writing disappears.

2) In private messages, some messages automatically insert the replied text surrounded by the [ QUOTE ] bbcode in the "Quick Reply" window as well as the "Go Advanced" window, while others never add the replied to text. It sortof seems like smaller PM's carry over their text more often than larger ones, but that's a guess more than any concrete fact. If I manually rebuild the replied text and bbcode it then carries over when you change to "Go Advanced etc".

The failed QUOTE issue also seems to happen when editing some posts, but I haven't been able to test it as much because of the 30 minute timer on editing.

I've tried this with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and IE, and the success/failure is the same across each browser and the same for each PM and thread. Mostly it's a pain since I use quotes a lot in both PM's and thread replies so there's context for what I'm referring to, and one mistake and you lose all your text.

I encounter this too often, not only on this site. SOooooooooo I now prepare my post in another programme, i.e Word and copy and paste as necessary from this site if required then a final copy and paste for the entire message into the entry field of the site. USING

PASTE AS PLAIN TEXT

otherwise undesirable things happen. You can risk it with just copy if you have links embedded into the draft but.......

Either way, with links images etc you run the risk of them not working after a paste and reply, then you run the ever lurking risk of being presented with a blank entry screen after hitting EDIT in an attempt to rectify

This is the worst of sites I have encountered with this last problem and I'm not surprised that many never post anything.......and I get a bit miffed when they complain that not enough posts are being made by members.

So it's a loose , loose situation what ever we do.

Haha - that's brutal. Was rather hoping to avoid having to do everything manually.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    Haha - that's brutal. Was rather hoping to avoid having to do everything manually.
    I have not had problems with quotes but often lose a whole big long yarn when I go to add a picture fhe whole thing disappears.
    That is infuriating when you just spent half an hour or more typing it out on a phone.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

[QUOTE=veitnamcam;1150605.......................Tha t is infuriating when you just spent half an hour or more typing it out on a phone.[/QUOTE]

Being "Old School", very old, I continue to believe that telephones are for talking,....................

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Being "Old School", very old, I continue to believe that telephones are for talking,....................
    Yea.....my computer died about a year ago so now my phone is my computer
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea.....my computer died about a year ago so now my phone is my computer
    Same, no computers or tablets at my house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk