Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Needing - Butcher/ Processing

Needing - Butcher/ Processing

Any of you lads make your own sausages and patties and want to make some money? I’ve just got back from my brothers where I shot a young spiker wasn’t thinking about Christmas at all and none of the butchers or home kill places are taking any more orders for the year, any help would be appreciated
    I’ve got 21kgs of venison I was wanting turned into Sausages, mince, patties and steaks. I’ve boned the whole animal out already and packed all the meat in different bags.

Also I’m in Rolleston (Canterbury)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

we tried local butcher to see if he would stuff 15kg of sausages for us...we have done the rest,just need to poke into casings...he too busy so will be DIY again..... surely you can sort out the steak bit yourself.....break muscle down into individual bit...its like a log...trim off the bark/silverskin..then ring it up... steaks sorted.....mince the rest... job done..... patties you season etc on day....mince is primo in risottos.... you could roll pattie mix into skinless bangers.
    TianBotha likes this.

Or just freeze it till next year it'll be fine to defrost and turn into bangers and patties
    That's what I do.....must have 50 odd kg of mince waiting to go and get made into sausages and patties
    #DANNYCENT

You don’t need to mince it to get it made into sausage later - just freeze in pieces.

The guy out at burnham is good for sausages etc. did some tahr for me earlier in the year and they turned out great.
    dannyb likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Or just freeze it till next year it'll be fine to defrost and turn into bangers and patties
    That's what I do.....must have 50 odd kg of mince waiting to go and get made into sausages and patties
    Say what?!?
    I was always told it's a big no-no to refreeze meat. Or do you do a bit at a time and not freeze the sausies and patties?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Say what?!?
    I was always told it's a big no-no to refreeze meat. Or do you do a bit at a time and not freeze the sausies and patties?
    It's absolutely fine, defrost, get it made into sausages and patties then re freeze.
    Have literally eaten over 100kg of meat processed this way it's not an issue, talk to your butcher I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing.
    #DANNYCENT

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    It's absolutely fine, defrost, get it made into sausages and patties then re freeze.
    Have literally eaten over 100kg of meat processed this way it's not an issue, talk to your butcher I'm sure he'll tell you the same thing.
    I am my butcher, so I never believe anything that dickhead says!

Dr Google says it's okay, some sites say never but many others say it's fine if meat was thawed in a fridge.
    TianBotha and dannyb like this.

I am my butcher, so I never believe anything that dickhead says!

Dr Google says it's okay, some sites say never but many others say it's fine if meat was thawed in a fridge.
    I do all my own now too just not sausages, get them done by the butcher as I don't have the gear for it.
    #DANNYCENT

Thanks for the advice lads, I was on the fence with the whole freeze then defrost part too but I’ll just whack it in the freeEr till the new year

Trout and dannyb like this.

Banned
    Say what?!?
    As long as the meat is not fully thawed, that is it is kept below the temperature at which bacteria replicate you will be ok. Mince the meat with ice crystals present !
    Mince itself should not be thawed and re- frozen but bigger portions are ok. This is because mincing will spread bacteria from the surface of the meat (aerobe's) through the mince and also incorporate air, so the bacteria can really get going during the re- freeze and next thaw period.

Quote Originally Posted by TianBotha View Post
    Thanks for the advice lads, I was on the fence with the whole freeze then defrost part too but I’ll just whack it in the freeEr till the new year

Take it frozen to the butcher. Like Moa Hunter says you then need to keep it cold, which they will do.

I had fresh meat and the butcher told me to just dice it into chunks and freeze before bringing it in.
    TianBotha and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Take it frozen to the butcher. Like Moa Hunter says you then need to keep it cold, which they will do.

I had fresh meat and the butcher told me to just dice it into chunks and freeze before bringing it in.
    Agree, take it in frozen the butcher will deal with it, reading my earlier post it could be interpreted that I was suggesting you defrost it before taking to the butcher. This is most certainly not what I was suggesting.
    #DANNYCENT

Gidday Tian.If you can be arsed trucking from Rolly to Nth Loburn, I,ve got a commercial 3 phase mincer that will do your 21kg in 2.763 seconds.Might cost you some cold ones

we stuffed 15kgs of snags tonight....took us a couple of hours but will be worth it....I have simple recipe that seems to work well for us...and decided to try a couple of kgs of some thing different KFB might well be the new thing....11 famous herbs n spices in twice the quantity for 6 bits of chook,chucked in to mince,half cup corn flour (Mrs glueten free) and splash of cider vinegar....tried a couple of meat balls and man were they good.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    we stuffed 15kgs of snags tonight....took us a couple of hours but will be worth it....I have simple recipe that seems to work well for us...and decided to try a couple of kgs of some thing different KFB might well be the new thing....11 famous herbs n spices in twice the quantity for 6 bits of chook,chucked in to mince,half cup corn flour (Mrs glueten free) and splash of cider vinegar....tried a couple of meat balls and man were they good.
    try rice flour works a bit better and if you are wanting a chorizo taste use malt vinegar and chilli with a dash of garlic
    Micky Duck likes this.