Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: For sale section

For sale section

I've noticed an influx of new members that only join and post in the FS section (both selling and buying), what's the possibility of making it only visible once you have 10+ posts?
    A. Less chance of spam
    B. Less chance of people using it to illegitimately sell/purchase stuff also.

Not sure if it's already been brought up.
    Dreamer, Dougie, mikee and 2 others like this.

It's been discussed

That's great, but case and point again today with another no name coming in and posting a bunch of stuff for sale with no description etc.

What ever came of the discussion.
    Pointer likes this.

My stance was that I didn't care, so I discontinued following the discussion. Someone else may have come to some conclusion.

My point was don't buy from them if you don't want to, we are not making you buy from new people
    von tempsky fan and Blisters like this.

The spammers seem to just post wherever they like (I deleted a guy selling a Toyota Highlander from in the Hunting Stories section this morning)
    AzumitH and Happy like this.

I recall hearing a story from the pre-internet days of a burglary of a firearms collector. The guns ultimately were sold as lots in newspapers, and as there was no serial numbers, no specfic descriptions of the guns and no photographic evidence due to the way in which they were sold it took a long time for police to get even a quarter of the gear back.

I am in no way saying that anything dodgy is happening here but when you have a guy currently selling a lot of gear without a specific description, and no photos I can't help but think of that story.
    mikee, Pengy, Gibo and 1 others like this.

There does seem to be a sudden glut of stuff for sale by first time posters.
    If you walked into a pub for the first time without knowing anyone or introducing yourself, and then proceeded to try and sell stuff to strangers, I think most would give you the cold shoulder.(unless you were in south London .
    It is simple manners to at least introduce yourself on forums before trying to sell gear without cost to yourself.
    jakewire, Pointer, Munsey and 5 others like this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Interesting stuff. I am new to hunting and this forum and I love this forum. Looking to buy and thought this was a kosha place to buy with honest hunters selling their wares. Most if not all probably are. Unlike the buy and sell thingy. I have very limited funds at the mo so look at the cheap rifles and have seen 2x Enfield's no bolts. Winchester on now with no bolt, someone asked why and he said lost hunting. This could be OK but for me it has big flashing light. Maybe I should introduce myself.

Pointer makes a good... Point. All we need is one stolen/illegal firearm sale to be tracked back to these forums for it all to end in tears I suspect.
    tetawa and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Pointer makes a good... Point. All we need is one stolen/illegal firearm sale to be tracked back to these forums for it all to end in tears I suspect.
    Why? The forum has no responsibility for such things. There is no money charged to list items. The law is quite clear as to the responsibility of the buyer and seller with relation to firearms. If you don't follow due process you are breaking the law. Simple.
    Spanners, jakewire, tetawa and 4 others like this.

I gather you haven't seen recent Heather/gun city bullshit?
    To clarify; I wouldn't put it past regulators and the media given the opportunity to whip any story where a firearm traded hands illegally using a forum like this to bring in further restrictions.
    Last edited by Timmay; 29-07-2016 at 01:08 PM.
    Feral likes this.

But rather than take the gutless PC TradeMe approach, we should ignore any calls to legitimately restrict the passing of information between interested parties, going about their lawful and legal personal affairs.

TradeMe is a little different in that they act as agent for reward, but either way they are simply an introductory service for willing purchaser and seller for a fee. They don't facilitate the transaction.

Any other advertising medium is even further removed (forums, newspapers, noticeboards, radio whatever). To suggest that regulation would result here is pure paranoia, and would be a legitimate infringement of our individual rights and an exercise fraught with difficulty for those attempting.

Rest easy....but in saying that, the protection of our membership is desirable and dealing with those without history..... may be risky..
    Kscott likes this.

I know the police are aware of this site. I trust that we would be informed if there was an issue. I don't see how this site has any obligation to provide assurances as to the validity of a person and their licence status. You don't need a licence to sign up. Do your due diligence, Just follow the law and I don't see an issue. If you come across something dodgy report it to the cops. @Spanners
    Spanners likes this.

If in doubt.......
    Wildman likes this.