Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Cordite

Thread: Search function and editing posts

Search function and editing posts

So this may have been covered elsewhere, but it ties back to my first question in that I'm struggling to find the answer:

1) Is it possible to refine the search function? Most forums I've used allow you to specify which sub forum you want to search under advanced settings, as well as type if it's a buy-sell section (IE WTS, WTT, WTB). It's really nice if I want to find something specific if I saw it years ago, or if I want to research something.

2) Editing posts - with the edit function timing out it means forum threads get awfully long and clunky - if I remember something the next morning, or realize I want to add info, I can't which is a pain. Case in point - I stated the wrong twist rate I was looking for in an ad on the buy-sell forum, but can't edit the original post and no one reads all the way down to see the later update. Helps to show which items are sold and which are still available as well - otherwise you end up digging through the rest of the thread looking for people saying they'll take it, then for the owner saying (or not saying) whether the items are sold and which are available etc. Editing would allow the OP to edit the original ad to show this, which is what most forums have moved to. Same issue with another post where I forgot to tag the OP to the post so he would see it, or others where I had spelling errors and wasn't clear in what I was saying.

If there's concern about edits, there's no issue with having all edits show up at the bottom of the original post rather than directly to the original post.

Anyways, that's my 2C... I do appreciate all the good banter going on here

northdude
    the search function has never worked for me
    canross and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by canross View Post
    So this may have been covered elsewhere, but it ties back to my first question in that I'm struggling to find the answer:

1) Is it possible to refine the search function? Most forums I've used allow you to specify which sub forum you want to search under advanced settings, as well as type if it's a buy-sell section (IE WTS, WTT, WTB). It's really nice if I want to find something specific if I saw it years ago, or if I want to research something.
    You can always search "from outside" the forum, such as by Google (except it won't find things posted subsequent to Google's last crawl through the forum).

If you want to search the buy, sell and swap subforum type your search followed by the subforum web address. Like:

semi auto A cat sten gun $450 Buy, Sell or Swap

...and google should return results from within that.

As for editing posts, I'm with you, but we just have to learn to get it right from the outset, or at least within the first half hour. Not fair on those who reply to the posting if their reply is to something you later edit out. Gets weird and more frustrating and may create more bother than it solves. Personally, posts should not be editable (though should be deletable in the first 30mins), but the permanent ability of the original poster to insert footnotes seems a good idea.

Like the old confessions of the cultural revolution, plenty tears and hand wringing:

"I reflect on posting, it was disgrace, I repent, I let down Communist Party of glorious People's Republic. I aks your forgiveness my reactionary attitudes. My bad thought delay glorious victory of People's Republic over capitalists who buy glorious exports make us rich. I aks forgiveness, glorious forum in humble footnote at your feet."
    canross likes this.