Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By kiwijames
  • 4 Post By Munsey

Thread: Shooting at sea query

Shooting at sea query

As per title, I was wondering what the laws were regarding shooting on the ocean/lake.
    Went fishing a while ago and saw a couple of guys blasting clays. We were out the back of Mayor so not too much in the way of other people or obstacles etc.
    Are we allowed to shoot at sea so long as it is safe to do so? Any restrictions on types of ammo that can be used?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kwon View Post
    As per title, I was wondering what the laws were regarding shooting on the ocean/lake.
    Went fishing a while ago and saw a couple of guys blasting clays. We were out the back of Mayor so not too much in the way of other people or obstacles etc.
    Are we allowed to shoot at sea so long as it is safe to do so? Any restrictions on types of ammo that can be used?

Thanks for the help,

Dan
    Have shot clays from a charter boat on Lake Taupo so I'm guessing it's legal if all normal requirements are met.

Sent from my SM-A510Y using Tapatalk

I'm just not sure what those other requirements are outside of DOC or private land. What is the legal entity of the sea? Section 3b of the Arms Code doesn't really say much.

They changed some laws when they had clay shooting off the rail ferries.I thing it was loaded guns in a vehicle rules.

Is it just duck shooting that you cannot discharge from a motorised boat?

Ah found it. Although this is from the 2002 manual.

No person on any vessel within the limits of a harbour, except in an emergency or in the
    event of assistance being urgently required, or with the prior consent of the Harbourmaster –
    (a) Fire any firearm
    (b) Display, burn or discharge any blue or red lights or any pyrotechnic signal
    (c) Display or burn any combustion item
    “Harbour” extends to and includes the limits within which the jurisdiction or powers of a
    Harbour Board may be exercised (Section 2, Harbour Act 1950).

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Ha ha. I remember trying to shoot flying fish with a pump action off the back of a boat in the Caribbean. That was fun (just not very successful).
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Ha ha. I remember trying to shoot flying fish with a pump action off the back of a boat in the Caribbean. That was fun (just not very successful).
    Yeh it be hard on the dog too. They sink when on point
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Trailbiking around red rocks (wgtn south coast) a ways back we came across a bunch of folks at one of the private bachs there doing a clay shoot over the water
    They made safe and waved us through, polite gestures all round and all very civilised