Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: $10 dollar town mentality Tauranga

$10 dollar town mentality Tauranga

I'm in the Construction Industry - Quantity Surveyor I've just had a call from a recruitment agency regarding a position I applied for over a month ago more out of interest on my part rather than need, (Personally I detest dealing with Recruitment Agencies) Anyway the agency straight away ask my salary expectations ..... I always resist going down this track so fired back with "what is the salary band" ended up being 40% less than what I am currently on, but it's Tauranga they say! Have you looked at the cost of buying a house in Tauranga no difference from Auckland now and the commute from Omokoroa > Tauranga is of Auckland magnitude now? Phone, Fuel card, incentive bonus? ... Consultant I will get back to my client and try and get more salary for the position watch this space
    Blisters likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Don't hold your breath.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

A good one is worth $110k - $130k
    One trained like a pit bull is hard to come by, but there's a fine balance on when you let him off the leash.
    gadgetman and Steve123 like this.

Why pay you 100k p.a when we can just import a foreigner who will take 60k p.a? Besides they probably won't do KS ( saves employer 3% further) plus they can make them work 50hrs and only pay them for 40 otherwise they will be sent back to their home country where their quality of life will be in the toilet.

That's the price you pay to live in Tauradise (with the rest of Auckland)
    mudgripz and Steve123 like this.

Ffs - Pay peanuts, get Monkeys.
    I employ a good QS, he does a good job and he helps to pay for many of my hobbies.
    We did a job recently where we tendered for the complete project, we were the cheapest of two tenderers still the client (Indian) didn't like our price and decided to build it himself with the help of his (Indian) QS. What would have taken us 3.5 months to build and been good quality took them 10 months to build. We ended up working as there subby but the rest of the job was a total shambles, piss poor quality. We were the only round eye contractors on the job, he has been open 9 months but the site still looks unfinished and of poor quality. The owner spent $500k more than what we had tendered and his QS no longer works for him. Just the additional 6 months build time and missing out on 6 months revenue would have pissed him off, he's now looking to build another one but with the right people doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
    I'm in the Construction Industry - Quantity Surveyor I've just had a call from a recruitment agency regarding a position I applied for over a month ago more out of interest on my part rather than need, (Personally I detest dealing with Recruitment Agencies) Anyway the agency straight away ask my salary expectations ..... I always resist going down this track so fired back with "what is the salary band" ended up being 40% less than what I am currently on, but it's Tauranga they say! Have you looked at the cost of buying a house in Tauranga no difference from Auckland now and the commute from Omokoroa > Tauranga is of Auckland magnitude now? Phone, Fuel card, incentive bonus? ... Consultant I will get back to my client and try and get more salary for the position watch this space
    I'm paying far to much then! Might be the industry? There's good wages in Tauranga at present for tradies.
    Gibo likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    A good one is worth $110k - $130k
    One trained like a pit bull is hard to come by, but there's a fine balance on when you let him off the leash.
    Looks like I'm in the wrong industry ha.

I lived in Tauranga / Kati for 18 yrs, the mentality is slowly changing but there is still some employers that think they are offering you a slice of paradise to be able to live and work there.
    Wages have been traditionally low for no reason other than it's Tauranga and the amazing lifestyle, which is a load of bullshit.
    18 yrs ago my commute from Kati to Tauranga was 30 mins on the dot, now it can be up to 1.5 hrs to go 36km.
    Roading fucked, public transport is crap and it's getting worse.
    We got out 15 months ago and moved to Central Otago, no regrets . Friendly people, world class scenery , place is pumping and heaps of work.
    only down side is they drink Speights ,
    I doubt I would ever live in "gods waiting room " ( Tauranga ) again, it's lost it's appeal. The place is struggling with old people wanting nothing to change, Councillors promising change and delivering fuck all once in office and a big influx of Jaffa's, Pom's in Papamoa thinking it's the Ibiza of the south pacific and infra structure short falls.

Other than that it's great
    gadgetman, Biggun708 and Awaian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I lived in Tauranga / Kati for 18 yrs, the mentality is slowly changing but there is still some employers that think they are offering you a slice of paradise to be able to live and work there.
    Wages have been traditionally low for no reason other than it's Tauranga and the amazing lifestyle, which is a load of bullshit.
    18 yrs ago my commute from Kati to Tauranga was 30 mins on the dot, now it can be up to 1.5 hrs to go 36km.
    Roading fucked, public transport is crap and it's getting worse.
    We got out 15 months ago and moved to Central Otago, no regrets . Friendly people, world class scenery , place is pumping and heaps of work.
    only down side is they drink Speights ,
    I doubt I would ever live in "gods waiting room " ( Tauranga ) again, it's lost it's appeal. The place is struggling with old people wanting nothing to change, Councillors promising change and delivering fuck all once in office and a big influx of Jaffa's, Pom's in Papamoa thinking it's the Ibiza of the south pacific and infra structure short falls.
    And with you gone theres more room for Gibo and me!!
    viper likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I struggle to see the attraction of Tauranga, maybe when I'm Macas age this might change, but I doubt it.
    Pengy and Steve123 like this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    And with you gone theres more room for Gibo and me!!
    Nah bro you can have Tauranga, its f@cked. I'm on the other side and happy as larry 20 minutes to get to work in the Mt anything west of the Mt is a cluster f@ck....... Tauranga isn't paradise but the rest of the BoP sure is
    Pointer, Gapped axe, Tommy and 1 others like this.

Yep basically anywhere else in the BOP is great

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Pom's in Papamoa thinking it's the Ibiza of the south pacific
    This cracked me up
    Bonecrusher and Gibo like this.