Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 1080 1km outside of drop

1080 1km outside of drop

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/84632629/1080-poison-conspiracy-floated-by-doc

Usual Doc cover up bullshit here fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/84632629/1080-poison-conspiracy-floated-by-doc

Usual Doc cover up bullshit here fellas.
    How do you know that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    How do you know that?

Well a start would be Doc stated "Immediately after the 1080 poison was dropped in the mountains, DOC staff walked the DOC tracks in the designated drop area and threw any 1080 pellets they found into the bush, he said." And we all know DOC has nowhere near enough funding to do that with all the baits they drop. If they had enough staff to walk the tracks they would have enough staff to realise there is another way.....Besides it would be a clear hazard for DOC staff to walk those tracks and under new H&S rules, they would be in trouble if a staff member strained their back from frequent bending over and/or stumbled. Small pellets like that are a trip / fall hazard....
    tetawa, deer243, blake and 2 others like this.

lets drop more poison in the waterways 5 days before fishing season opens ...again

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    How do you know that?
    Because I was one of many who went out and although I didn't find any in the area I went but everyone else did find some outside of the drop zone.

No planting of 1080 just concerned locals looking after the environment so they can ram that up their arse
    tetawa, deer243, blake and 1 others like this.

Since when has Stuff been a reputable source for hunting and firearms related news?
    kiwijames, res, timattalon and 1 others like this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Since when has Stuff been a reputable source for hunting and firearms related news?
    Or anything else for that matter...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    Because I was one of many who went out and although I didn't find any in the area I went but everyone else did find some outside of the drop zone.

No planting of 1080 just concerned locals looking after the environment so they can ram that up their arse

Wouldn't killing the rats be looking after the environment?

How would you do it without poison?

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    Wouldn't killing the rats be looking after the environment?

How would you do it without poison?
    The area is actually quite low in rat and mouse numbers firstly, secondly they did such a drop 18 months ago for a beech maast that supposedly happens once ever 4 years and it wouldn't affect the fish.

Fast forward to now and guess what? Apparently there will be a maast this year of which I am to see fuck all evidence on the lake unlike last time and secondly a independent review refuted DOCs claims pertaining to trout being affected.

Lastly I'm not entirely sure if you have walked the Kepler track but if you haven't then you Kepler mountains have bait and trap lines through their entirety keeping the mice, rats and Mustelids at bay.

If this poison works so well then why do they have to spread the shit 18 months later in a area with low rat and mice numbers.? When ground traps and stations keep the above at bay?. Makes ya wonder :-)

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Well a start would be Doc stated "Immediately after the 1080 poison was dropped in the mountains, DOC staff walked the DOC tracks in the designated drop area and threw any 1080 pellets they found into the bush, he said." And we all know DOC has nowhere near enough funding to do that with all the baits they drop. If they had enough staff to walk the tracks they would have enough staff to realise there is another way.....Besides it would be a clear hazard for DOC staff to walk those tracks and under new H&S rules, they would be in trouble if a staff member strained their back from frequent bending over and/or stumbled. Small pellets like that are a trip / fall hazard....
    This actually and literally is done, it's a MOH or RC consent condition(I forget which), you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    This actually and literally is done, it's a MOH or RC consent condition(I forget which), you have no idea what you're talking about.
    One of Josh james videos shows 1080 pellets on a track literally from the road and I have found pellets on tracks in the past so clearly it is not often done.
    deer243 and blake like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

So VC we can say you are more reliable than Stuff? When will some people remove their heads from up their arse. 1080 has become a bit of a serious joke in my opinion, but money and saving face is a big give up
    I not fishing Taupo this year, because I fish the Western Bays, and as clean and as harmless as its portraited, I dont want to eat 1080d trout, Yes I know it wont kill me, huh? So Rotoiti looking good.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Its a govt department. Thus it is done, just done extremely badly.

Nothing against the environment. Zealots and believers are all retards, regardelss of which side of an argument they fall on. Infact, a zealot or believer is the most advanced, high performance tertiary level retard in existence. If they are pro or anti 10/80 or involved involved in virtually anything else they will do harm.

The reason is they are so passionate and devoted to their cause they convince themselves of their bullshit far more often than they convince other people.

A solution to an issue (rats and the "pristine" nature of the bush) requires an objective view. One view says killing rats
    makes the bush pristine. The other says the act of air dropping poison all over it makes it less pristine. Both are right to a degree that can't be argued against.

So its basically two groups with tongues and no ears making loud unintelligible noises at each other.
    OMG, Tussock, you just described parliament perfectly, in that last sentence.
    veitnamcam, stingray and WallyR like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    ...and I have found pellets on tracks in the past so clearly it is not often done.
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    My comment was a little tongue in cheek. But they cover so much area with 1080 that to walk the tracks looking for pellets would take far to many staff to do it properly. They might have the staffing levels AND the budget to do a few tracks so but I suspect that if they had the budget to hire enough staff to walk all the tracks, they would have spent it on 1080..... More likely they walk the more popular tracks where the media might pick up and give them bad press.

As for DOC in general, they seem to have two sorts of staff, those in charge, and those on the ground who actually care about what DOC is supposed to do. And for the most part I think it is underfunded for what they are expected to achieve, but damned if I want to give those in charge a bigger budget as they will likely just buy more 1080....

As for the quality of reporting in Stuff, well it is referred to as Stuff'd where I work as every story they have done on usinesses such as ours show how much they dont bother to fact check or even gain a basic understanding of the crap that thy write....Why let the truth get in the way of a good story....
    Grim, veitnamcam, tetawa and 2 others like this.