Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: 1080 worker in coma

  1. #1
    Member sneeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nelson/marlborough
    Posts
    2,828

    1080 worker in coma

    This seems to have slipped under the radar.
    https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...worker-in-coma
    veitnamcam and stingray like this.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

  2. #2
    Member scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    the old cheese factory
    Posts
    1,084
    was on tv the other night ........didnt say what chemicals were on site at the time may be something other than 1080.... or maybe it was 1080. they deal with lotsa stuff apparently will be interesting to see what worksafe turn up in their investigation.....

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    1,931
    Not sure of full facts but I have second hand info that this has occurred late March and been kept quiet for over two months. Hope the full facts are made public asap.
    Wirehunt likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

    Matsuo Basho.

  4. #4
    Member sneeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    nelson/marlborough
    Posts
    2,828
    I get most news from radio these days, havnt heard anything but may have missed it. I hope the worker recovers with no lasting effects.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Rules are for the obedience of fools
    and the guidance of wise men” Sir Douglas Bader.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    86
    Whatever investigations uncover, I would be surprised if the full and truthful story be made public if 1080 has anything to do with it.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    105
    wonder if he has the same symptoms as the indian family from toke that ate the pork,
    wasn't one of them in a coma for a while?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,218
    The rep from the company stated various chemicals were produced at the plant. The news reporter added that the "plant also produced 1080".
    That can be read numerous ways. Don't hang anyone just yet.
    BRADS likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Godzone, South Island
    Posts
    526
    Sadly, I heard tonight he has passed away.

  9. #9
    Member Boaraxa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    2,021
    Interesting that the west coast council has a 49% shear in the company next Well find out the govt has the other 51% & has been investing our kiwi saver money to run it
    Wirehunt likes this.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Interesting that the west coast council has a 49% shear in the company next Well find out the govt has the other 51% & has been investing our kiwi saver money to run it
    I was under the impression that is how the company is set up. The goverment makes the calls and the council reap some of the benefits from having such a facility.

  11. #11
    NRT
    NRT is offline
    Member NRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dunedin
    Posts
    482
    1080 is one of the safer chemicals to work with u would have to self harm to die with it

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Dama dama and BRADS like this.

  12. #12
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,552
    Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    1080 is one of the safer chemicals to work with u would have to self harm to die with it

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    "Self harm", as in swallow or inhale it I suppose.

    Shame on every level he died. My thoughts go to his family.

    Would have been enlightening to have a first hand account of "the 1080 experience" from a talking creature, not just films and observations of an unfortunate, unwanted dog.
    tetawa and Boaraxa like this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    South of Christchurch
    Posts
    1,420
    The news sources said that he was working on chemicals to take to the Rolleston Plant. Potentially that means mixing powder concentrate 1080 into stock solution.
    One avenue under investigation, is if PCR's ownership of the former "KiwiCare" premises included a resource consent for handling dangerous chemicals.
    Also the building is right next door to Fritz's Wieners food prep. So that's not ideal.

    Processing 1080 bait isn't so bad as the concentrate.
    Here's a study into the risks to workers https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fbw3ncz6e...ealth.pdf?dl=0


    This one tells us in Section 4.1.4 that it is extremely toxic if inhaled. https://www.dropbox.com/s/nma8kmuux8...2-017.pdf?dl=0

  14. #14
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    3,552
    Seen dissections of animals that died from 1080. Looks like a painful death. They must have filled the poor guy with morphine to relieve his misery.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    South Waikato
    Posts
    3,218
    Are there any conclusive results that it was 1080 that got him?
    Some of you guys would do well working for the media.
    Savage1, ebf, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    Overkill is still dead.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Worker needed
    By Munsey in forum Off topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
  2. Need a young worker
    By Munsey in forum Off topic
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-08-2013, 11:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!