Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Konev
  • 4 Post By stingray
  • 1 Post By StrikerNZ
  • 1 Post By sako75

Thread: 2018 Southern Expedition

2018 Southern Expedition

August next year we are going to take the kids (daughter will be 5 and son 2) for a trip down South.
    Fly to Nelson and pick up motorhome.
    A couple of nights in Nelson for wifes grandfathers 90th
    Then down to St Arnaud and across to Blenhiem and down to Kaikoura to watch some whales. due to road blocks can't get this leg on same map.
    Hanmer Springs, Greymouth, Arthurs Pass (last time was on Trans Alpine rail), Methven (up the hill to snow we missed out last trip),
    Down to Palmerston and inland to Ranfurly. Dunedin to see Port Chalmers where Great Great Grandfather first lobbed before heading to Roxburgh, down to Catlins and into Bluff.
    Sprint into Queenstown and fly home

Looking for recommendations on what to stop and see on the chosen route.
    Probably drive 4hrs a day to give time to stop and do some tourist things

Thanks in advance

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  199.8 KB

if its a warm day go swiming in curio bay in the catlins. summer is best but might still be some dolphins hanging around.
    sako75 and Bernie like this.

Sharking with the Nelson crew Stop in at lake Rotoiti kids can feed the ducks and with some snow down it makes for a beauty photo op.
    sako75, mikee, Pengy and 1 others like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

MSL
    What will you do about car seats?

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Sharking with the Nelson crew Stop in at lake Rotoiti kids can feed the ducks and with some snow down it makes for a beauty photo op.
    Golden bay or totornui, nice safe beaches, very clear water. great place for young and old, take kids on a kayak trip for a couple hours, play on a beach half way.
    I agree with lake Rotoiti, great spot, sand flys can be a bastard sum days, keep an eye on the kids, take bug dope.

Not an activity, but a place to eat suggestion: FergBurger in QueensTown! One hour wait and lines flowing onto the road but worth the wait!

I assume Ranfurly is a deliberate destination, but why run down the coast from Methven - Palmerston, rather than in through the Mackenzie? Fairlie, Tekapo, Omarama, Cromwell, then out across to Ranfurly.. Option to detour up to Mt Cook too. Bit more driving, but much bigger and more spectacular country in that way..
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    What will you do about car seats?
    @MSL Good call
    Phoned up one crowd who show car seats and booster seats. The back has 2 forward facing seats with tether points. Another good reason to limit driving to 4hrs

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Golden bay or totornui, nice safe beaches, very clear water. great place for young and old, take kids on a kayak trip for a couple hours, play on a beach half way.
    I agree with lake Rotoiti, great spot, sand flys can be a bastard sum days, keep an eye on the kids, take bug dope.
    Are they as bad as Fiordland and Haast?
    Wife and daughter are mozzie magnets. Figure they will keep me and the little fella safe
    keneff likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    Not an activity, but a place to eat suggestion: FergBurger in QueensTown! One hour wait and lines flowing onto the road but worth the wait!
    Was there 1 year ago tomorrow for cousins daughters wedding. Was a 40min wait. Better than sitting in Auckland traffic for 1hr with only a pack of thin rice cakes
    Last edited by sako75; 31-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    I assume Ranfurly is a deliberate destination, but why run down the coast from Methven - Palmerston, rather than in through the Mackenzie? Fairlie, Tekapo, Omarama, Cromwell, then out across to Ranfurly.. Option to detour up to Mt Cook too. Bit more driving, but much bigger and more spectacular country in that way..
    Thanks Striker
    4 years ago we caught a train and ferry from Auckland to Greymouth then a rental RAV4 down the coast, Cadrona, Queenstown, Milford, Waikaia, Roxburgh and up through Twizel, Mt Cook, Tekapo, Methven (got there end of day and tried to go up Mt Hutt. Got clagged in with 15-20m viz so turned back as after gate closing time) and flew out of Christchurch.
    Love country like Lindis Pass and Roxburgh (family origins in Roxy 1870’s and over Old Mans Range) to Alexandra. Shame so many foreign tourists in campers.
    Beautiful country that goes by too fast

Train through Arthurs Pass was great and since then wanted to drive it.
    Ranfurly has old records at the council office there that I’m keen to search. Wife said not on this trip so Ranfurly and Middlemarch for the scenery
    Last edited by sako75; 31-03-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I always preferred Red Star Burgers in Wanaka when I lived in Cromwell and visited both fairly often.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by sako75 View Post
    @MSL Good call
    Phoned up one crowd who show car seats and booster seats. The back has 2 forward facing seats with tether points. Another good reason to limit driving to 4hrs
    You can take your own on the plane, I was referring to where in the van they will go. Last camper I was in had the driver and passenger up front and the only other seating was at the very back. What company you hiring from?, the prices are eye watering.

@MSL
    Www.newzealandcampervanhire.co.nz Imala Delux
    Fiat chassis rather the Merc with a few horses under the bonnet