Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Knives Africa Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: 4WD camping

4WD camping

Hi guys n gals,

(insert compliments and general greasing here)

can anyone help out with a camping spot? We are respectful and leave the area cleaner than when we arrived every time.
    Would like a place nice and remote and on the coast preferably!
    My van is a low ratio 4wd so I can get across rivers, and small lakes.
    Be great if the land owner is ok with general plinking too!

Would like a north island spot, but not ruling out the south depending on ferry bookings/time etc.
    Hope one of you lot can help

Cheers,
    Dave
    021 424 709
    Use enough gun

Plenty of spots of public land administered by doc that you can get a rimfire permit for in the south island

Top of the South Island, roll on through Rainbow Station, camp at Lake Tennyson, get gate codes for access to Maling Pass and Edwards Valley
    Or Leatham Valley with your rimfire permit, cross the Branch river to get up to Greigs Hut too

Quote Originally Posted by ROKTOY View Post
    Top of the South Island, roll on through Rainbow Station, camp at Lake Tennyson, get gate codes for access to Maling Pass and Edwards Valley
    Or Leatham Valley with your rimfire permit, cross the Branch river to get up to Greigs Hut too
    Have fun with the gate codes.... Make sure you get both keys sure there will be so,even along that can suggest somewhere closer. Mt bee in the Eyre mountains is spectacular if access is still there, upper Waiau river in past hanmer springs, past borland lodge and into the arm on Lake manapouri in fiordland

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Have fun with the gate codes.... Make sure you get both keys sure there will be so,even along that can suggest somewhere closer. Mt bee in the Eyre mountains is spectacular if access is still there, upper Waiau river in past hanmer springs, past borland lodge and into the arm on Lake manapouri in fiordland
    We have only ever once had issues with the gate codes, they were changed a week early and we couldn't get in at all, some of our group had driven for 8 hours to get there for a weekend away

sounds like some good spots so far. I forgot to mention our dog will be with us, he is an ex show dog and extremely civilized but that rules out Fiordland. and we dont have time to travel that far south this time, am keen on a north island spot to keep costs down if possible.
    but thanks for the tips, will save them for another time.
    Any farmers got any coastal land they want to let some good bastards camp on? or a river etc?
    Use enough gun

You had a look on the wams mapping system for potential spots?

Following this with interest - my plan for NY's is taking my 4wd up around East Cape. Planning on staying at DoC campsites, remote rural roads etc and just exploring.
    bigbear and 40mm like this.

Some nice spots up there just make sure you fuel up before heading up there. You used to be able to camp any where up there years ago but not know Still areas for freedom camping. make sure you take a fishing rod, Cash will help you find a nice spot to park up

Ejected
    Now that freedom camping is almost outlawed carry a box of beer, half decent bottle of wine and a bit of cash, when you find a nice spot just go knock on the door and introduce yourself and ask.
    Most will be alright with it when they know it's not some filthy prick who will just leave feces and rubbish everywhere.
    Blisters likes this.

@40mm nice spot in the motu next to a river. trout and hunting near by.

MSL
    Makahu road, camp next to the Mohaka, hotpools on the river bank in the scrub

The boulders... Doc camp..Opotiki... One of my favorite little gems...

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    The boulders... Doc camp..Opotiki... One of my favorite little gems...
    Also the best advice you'll ever get... Leave the dog at home bro... Dogs, Doc camps and camping on farms don't mix... It'll be a huge negative...
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggun708 View Post
    Also the best advice you'll ever get... Leave the dog at home bro... Dogs, Doc camps and camping on farms don't mix... It'll be a huge negative...
    I hear ya on that one, I have a rottweiler that has no interest in chasing sheep etc. likes to laze around. anyway, he camps where we camp. took him and the missus in my hiace to the south island for 3.5 weeks last xmas, the only hassle was the places like Fiordland that I could'nt take him.

I realize that most people will instantly be put off by the fact that we have a dog. but I hope someone can trust us that our dog is not another jaffa fucker, and that even if something were to happen we would make good on any costs/damages. not that there is any chance of that happening on my watch.

Brew the rottweiler is far more civalised than most humans I have met so far.

And for anyone who is interested... there is approx 70 doc camp sites that are dog friendly, some good ones too.
    We carry a shovel not a chemical toilet. I think chemical toilets are shit. Go the shovel.
    Biggun708 likes this.
    Use enough gun