Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Action and Scope Torque Wrench recommendations

Action and Scope Torque Wrench recommendations

Hi all,

Have been an idiot and thought my rifle was failing me, turns out my action screws weren't even finger tight.....must work loose.

What can I get in terms of a torque wrench for action and scope screws? Don't want to spend much as I don't need it much and I only take stocks off for cleaning.

Also what is the Rem mod 7 and Rem 700 torque numbers for front and rear action screws?

it depends what sort of stock and floorplate you've got
    I killed a plastic savage triggerguard by torquing it till it cracked
    I've got a 1/4" torque screwdriver but it only goes up to 50 "/lbs,the wheeler FAT wrench would be better

I have a Wheeler FAT wrench also. I brought mine in but I think Reloaders and WI have them for around 100 bucks ish. Essential for fitting scopes etc.
    What you torque your stock/action screws is variable depending upon whether the stock is straight wood, synthetic, pillar bedded, laminated etc. For wood on some stocks you cannot go above 25 in/lbs (~3Nm) as all you do is crush the wood. On my alloy stock, or those with alloy bedding blocks I go up to 60 in/lbs (~6.5Nm). It also depend upon the screw diameters.
    Last edited by zimmer; 25-06-2016 at 11:55 AM.

I'm using a fat wrench too
    Stock screws will be 25 - 45inch/lb the lowest being timber up to a carbon stock.
    I do scope bases about 25in/lb and rings up to 20in/lb
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Cheers guys

Try come nail varnish or thread lock on the action screws, you can pickup some cheap 1/4" torque wrenches on T/M but don't know how good the calibration would be.
    Gibo likes this.

So laminate in mod 7 and carbon for 700. What are the suggested tourques? @stug what do you set yours too?

I just go hand tight with the Allen key I do the front screw so it is a bit tighter than the rear.
    Gibo likes this.

I use 35 inch pounds on all rifles ( no carbon ones)
    Gibo likes this.

Rem 700 - 25 to 60 inch pounds depends the type of stock your using ( Wheeler fat wrench is a great tool )
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt !!

This is how I do it. Assemble rifle with screws just starting tighten. Back off a fraction. Try and rotate barrel/action clockwise and anti-clockwise in the stock to determine if any slop exists in the screws holes thru stock or the recoil lug recess. If any slop, (shouldn’t really be any if properly bedded) centre action/barrel in the mid point of the slop. Just nip up screws and then hold rifle vertical and whack butt (up to you how hard ha ha) on bench a couple of times to make sure everything is as rearward as possible. Tighten screws up to less than torque setting. Don’t get too close to final setting as if you are too close the screws will hardly move the last bit – bit like torqueing a cylinder head. Torque up to chosen setting doing the king screw (front) first, followed by the rear. I usually hold my hand around the barrel at the fore-end and as I tighten there should be no rocking horse feel.
    Gibo likes this.

Wheeler fat wrench also.. Would've been good to find a cheaper alternative though. Over $100 for a screw driver is pretty rich..

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk

Probably gives action screw torque figures in the owners manual for the rifle if you bought it new. I use a fat wrench as well (which is different to a fat wench).
    tetawa and Beaker like this.

I will buck the trend and say use the torque your rifle shoots well at.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Beaker and Gibo like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Don't be bloody anal! Action and scope screws should be done up firm but not over tight. As firm as you can get them with a normal screwdriver or Allen key (it is quite easy to overtighten with an Allen key so be carefull). There is absolutely no need to use torque wrenches and other expensive bits of useless kit that are marketed to the gullible. There are five things to consider to get top performance from your rifle: good quality ammo, proper cleaning, good bedding, good trigger, know how to shoot properly. These five things coupled with a good rifle and optics will last you for your entire hunting life. People like me are able to retire in reasonable comfort because many shooters insist on upgrading their gear to the lastest whiz-bang gizmos that are touted in the various publications. A good rifle/scope combo bought in the 1970's will be just as capable today if those five points are followed, and last for at least 5-6000 rounds. Only commercial shooters wear their rifles out. The rest either change them far too soon, or knacker them by abuse and lack of maintenance.