Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Advice on boosting cell phone signal

Advice on boosting cell phone signal

As above.
    New house with marginal 2 bar reception. We will also be wanting internet through it?
    Any advice for those that might know?
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Change service provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Change service provider.
    They are all the same signal wise.

My old blackberry gets coverage at our house no new apple or androids do. A friend with an old nokia who visits gets coverage as well. The wifes galaxy doesnt either despite having a "signal booster" thingy added. Those older phones must have better pickup or something. So i still use the blackberry, 3 g is fine for data and talkies
    Rich007 likes this.

LOC
    Vodafone has a booster you plug into the internet for about $200 and does a good job. Need a Vodafone mobile though
    Moa Hunter likes this.

modern phones don't have an aerial input but some models have better reception than others best way is find out what phones your friends have and get them to come out to your house to see the different reception strengths. also you may find there is a certain spot that you get better reception in the house and can leave a phone there to Bluetooth the internet. we have a wireless internet that is broadcast through the vodaphone cell site that is reasonable service that uses a wifi modem its not as good as adsl but its way better than dialup .

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    Vodafone has a booster you plug into the internet for about $200 and does a good job. Need a Vodafone mobile though
    Thanks @LOC. We are with Vodafone but I have spoken to them and they said they don't do such a thing as a cell reception booster? Do you have any more information on it?
    There is a company called Cel-Fi which do a "permitted" booster but it costs a bloody fortune (over $2.5K installed). I also found an overseas company that sells booster kits but I have found dealing with them rather difficult. I was hoping a tech guru on here could suggest an easy affordable way of doing it. We would like to get our internet through the phones as well if we could.

1. Remove protective cover(s) from phone, they soak up signal, however slightly.

2. This implies, don't hold it in your hand either (soaks up signal) - nor walk about with it (reduces signal as phone/provider keeps having to adjust).

3. Find the spot in the house with the best signal and put the phone there in the orientation that gives best signal.

Don't forget checking up high either, even plug it in with a charger and extension cable up under the rafters. When you use it only as a mobile hot spot you can get creative about where you place it.

This probably what Loc is talking about. https://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile/3g-sure-signal/
    We got one at a workplace where too many concrete buildings in the way of a reliable signal. Does work, had to pay for a vodafone dsl line though.

What may also help is turning off 3g/4g/data. Someone who worked in a lot of rural places found this increased his call quality quite a lot.
    Shearer and Mr Browning like this.

I've got a galaxy and agree with the shit coverage compared to other phones when im in the bush. What i did find is if i forced my phone to stay on 3g reception under, settings/connection/mobile networks/network mode. I stopped it from jumping around 2g,3g,4g connections trying to find the best of the poor frequencies that were available.
    Shearer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mhoppy View Post
    This probably what Loc is talking about. https://www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile/3g-sure-signal/
    We got one at a workplace where too many concrete buildings in the way of a reliable signal. Does work, had to pay for a vodafone dsl line though.

What may also help is turning off 3g/4g/data. Someone who worked in a lot of rural places found this increased his call quality quite a lot.
    Thanks @mhoppy. I see a problem here. We can't even get ADSL where we are so must rely on wireless. Fiber runs past our place on the main road but god knows when that may ever get hooked up.
    Last edited by Shearer; 30-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.

LOC
    Shearer, that is what I am referring to. Have used it at a holiday house a few years back but they since improved reception.
    There is also a business version which boosts it 120m https://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/mobile/sure-signal/
    Leave it with me a few days and I'll get back to you, my business partner has just moved back to his family farm and I am working on it today how we keep him connected to us here at work - same scenario as you only wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Thanks @mhoppy. I see a problem here. We can't even get ADSL where we are so must rely on wireless. Fiber runs past our place on the main road but god knows when that may ever get hooked up.

LOC
    @Shearer I think I have it sorted now after a long chat to Vodafone
    They have two booster products -
    30m boost range www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile/3g-sure-signal/
    120m boost range www.vodafone.co.nz/business/mobile/sure-signal/
    Both are operated by the internet, not reliant on picking up a weak signal
    You need to have Vodafone mobiles to pick up the boost signal (frequency based connection) so other carrier mobiles won't work
    They do not like to sell these boosters to anyone using a rural or 3G connection (advertised for only using wired connections fibre/VDSL etc) however when I pressed them on it they confirmed that they do work and that they will sell me the booster - but at my own risk. No after sales support if signal goes down etc. You have a 30 day right of return I believe.
    We had one a few years back as I mentioned and at the time I didn't understand how it actually operated, but it was also on a 3G connection and it definitely worked although you couldn't walk too far away from it (must have been the 30m model).
    So I reckon this is probably worth a crack for you. We are going to try out the 120m version

Quote Originally Posted by LOC View Post
    Shearer, that is what I am referring to. Have used it at a holiday house a few years back but they since improved reception.
    There is also a business version which boosts it 120m https://www.vodafone.co.nz/business/mobile/sure-signal/
    Leave it with me a few days and I'll get back to you, my business partner has just moved back to his family farm and I am working on it today how we keep him connected to us here at work - same scenario as you only wireless.
    Shearer likes this.

LOC
    @Shearer I think have it sorted now after a long chat to Vodafone
    They have two booster products -
    30m boost range www.vodafone.co.nz/mobile/3g-sure-signal/
    120m boost range www.vodafone.co.nz/business/mobile/sure-signal/
    Both are operated by the internet, not reliant on picking up a weak signal
    You need to have Vodafone mobiles to pick up the boost signal (frequency based connection) so other career mobiles won't work
    They do not like to sell these boosters to anyone using a rural or 3G connection (advertised for only using wired connections fibre/VDSL etc) however when I pressed them on it they confirmed that they do work and that they will sell me the booster - but at my own risk. No after sales support if signal goes down etc. You have a 30 day right of return I believe.
    We had one a few years back as I mentioned and at the time I didn't understand how it actually operated, but it was also on a 3G connection and it definitely worked although you couldn't walk too far away from it (must have been the 30m model).
    So I reckon this is probably worth a crack for you. We are going to try out the 120m version

LOC
    What I forgot to mention is that you need a fairly decent 3G signal where you have your modem located

If you get an Internet connection through Farmside I reckon that is probably the best way to go, they put a dish on the roof to catch a better 3G signal and looking at their website they also offer the Vodafone boosters if you want to keep it simple